• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Some Hot Dog Advice

Holly Moore

I'm heading up to Newark to catch a flight tomorrow (Thursday). I typically allow way too much time which means that once I get within a comfortable range of the airport I can stop at a place or two for a hot dog or two.

What's near Newark Airport that I haven't written up yet at Jersey Dogs at HollyEats.Com

Thanks.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Holly,

One place that comes to mind is Boulevard Drinks in Jersey City, a few minutes away from the airport. Take rt 1 north over the Pulaski Skyway. When you come over the bridge, look for the first exit (not sure what it says, I only know it by sight). At the bottom of the ramp, go about halfway around the circle and get off on Tonnele Ave. This street runs parallel to Kennedy Blvd. Make a right off Tonnele Ave. Go a few blocks and look for Kennedy Blvd. Make a right on Kennedy Blvd and go a little ways (a mile or less). Boulevard Drinks is on the right hand side. It's tough to park there. Either park in a garage on the right before Boulevard Drinks, or make a right at the end of the street (BD is on the corner) and look for a spot there.

This is a small place that's been around forever and one of the more popular hot dog spots in North Jersey. Serving a small griddled Sabrett in the style of Papaya King. They have a hot chili sauce that is about as hot or a little hotter (Spicy hot) as Father & Son.

You are close to the places in Elizabeth and Union, but you've been to them before. On the other side of Newark are the hot dog trucks on Bloomfield Ave. and Dickiee Dees Italian Hot Dogs. I really don't know how to get you there from the airport though.

John the hot dog guy

Dickie Dee's in Newark if Italian hot dogs qualify.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Italian hot dogs definitely do qualify and on occasions go to the head of the line.

Dickie Dee's is was. A double Italain Sausage actually - for the unitiated - Italian dogs or sausage are with fried potatoes, onions and peppers and stuffed into half of a flat round of Italian bread, pita style.

Thanks. A great recommend. And thanks for my GPS for naviating Newark and getting me to Dicky Dee's and back to the airport in plenty of time for my flight.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Glad you enjoyed it. An alltime favorite of mine for years.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

I've never understood how putting potatoes on a hotdog makes it Italian. Wouldn't that be an Irish hotdog? In my mind an Italian hotdog would have onions peppers, marinara and mozzerella...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

You're wrong, an Irish hotdog would be stewed in whiskey. :raz:

Actually the "Italian hotdog" is a take on the traditional Italian-American sausage/pepper/onion/potato sang-wich. The only difference is the added ketchup or mustard on the hotdog.

Edited by richl2214 (log)

Holly- I just went to your site for the first time after reading this thread. Great info, thanks.

I was wondering if you or anyone else has ever eaten at Big Daddy's Hot Dogs in Little Falls. I passed it the other day and was wondering if it was worth a stop.