• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Assi Supermarket opening soon in Lansdale

SG-

This is great news. I used to shop in one while in DC. The place will knock your sox off. And to satisfy the eGulleters, the DC store had a small dining area where you could eat some great lunches. Perhaps this will has well.

• 2 months later...

Grand opening today, as of 9pm the place was still mobbed with cars overflowing to the neighbouring parking lots with 30min lines at the cash register.

I dare say that it's probably bigger than the hahn ah rheum at cherrry hill. great addition to the area. been a while since I've seen fresh mamey, guava, rambutans sold anywhere.

Edited by SG- (log)

<mind boggling trying to imagine something bigger and better than han ah reum>

definitely bigger than hahn ah rheum, it's the size of a full blown traditional supermarket ie. Genuardis etc.

Not sure if it's better than Hahn ah rheum at this point, too freakin crowded tonite and wasn't up hanging around for too long this evening...

SG:

Did you say fresh Mamey??!!?? I haven't seen that anywhere outside of Miami. Dang that is the best stuff in the whole world. Probably my favorite tropical fruit. A Batido de Mamey is a must have whenever I'm in Miami. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

SG:

Did you say fresh Mamey??!!??  I haven't seen that anywhere outside of Miami.  Dang that is the best stuff in the whole world.  Probably my favorite tropical fruit.  A Batido de Mamey is a must have whenever I'm in Miami.  :wub:

Yup the have 'em there, guavas look promising too but not so the rambutans esp. for $3.99 /lb. Also running some specials probably just for this week, small persimmons (similar in size to the israeli sourced Sharon brand variety) $4.99 for a box of 20.

In response to a previous question, didn't make it to the food court but was told that they have a bibimbap joint, bakery, takeout sushi and noodle place. Will confirm once I make it there later in the week.

Just stopped there mid-day today. Great store with all kinds of produce goodness! Finally someplace to pick up little thai eggplants and fresh trumeric roots and long chinese celery and other good stuffs.

Huge, modern, clean and sensibly layed out. I'll need a lot more time to explore the whole place, but the seafood selections looked really great!

A very fine addition to the greater Lansdale metro area.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Assi Supermarket, subsidiary of Rhee brothers opening soon in Lansdale, site of the shuttered Superfresh, nearby Sultan.

Assi info

Perhaps you could give the address and some directions for us city folk who don't get into the burbs often.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Assi Supermarket, subsidiary of Rhee brothers opening soon in Lansdale, site of the shuttered Superfresh, nearby Sultan.

Assi info

Perhaps you could give the address and some directions for us city folk who don't get into the burbs often.

It's actually located in north wales, see the map below.

Map