• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick tasting notes

Florida Jim

2001 Andrew Hood, Riesling (Tasmania):

Reminded me of Trimbach’s front-line riesling but with slight RS; very good and, at about $6, worth looking for. Imported by Lapham Imports, Miami.

2000 Mont Marcal, Cava Brut Res.:

Lots of fizz and little flavor. Not bad but not much.

2002 Geyser Peak, Sauvignon Blanc:

A sauvignon without cat-pee; more in the pineapple/grapefruit profile with decent acidity. Preety good.

2001 Rutherford Hill, Chardonnay:

Not too oaky but something is off here; my guess is that lack of concentration allows what wood there is to be too much apart of the palate and finish.

NV Bonny Doon, Riesling Pacific Rim:

Tastes good, just a hair short on acidity, drink now.

2003 Bonny Doon, Vin Gris de Cigar:

A very nice rose with solid flavors, decent acidity and it even has a finish. Good wine.

2002 Esser, Cabernet Sauvignon:

Bad wine. Tastes like it was made in someone’s basement; candied, herbal, nasty.

2001 Wildhorse, Pinot Noir Central Coast:

Earthy and warm, maybe a little muted but I’d be happy to have this with dinner.

2001 Dry Creek, Heritage Clone Zinfandel:

A little oaky for me but made in a restrained style with good balance.

2002 Las Rocas, Garnacha:

Soft with a touch of chocolate; pleasant wine that should be drunk now.

1999 Parusso, Barbera D’Alba Superiore:

A solid and balanced barbera that would be perfect with lighter Italian fare.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com