• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Center City Sips

KatieLoeb

Real cute, now Idon't get a mojito, or a martini. I just spent most of the day at Hahneman (how do you spell that??) being x-rayed and prodded. I fell down a flight of stairs while retrieving cheese this morning. My ankle, while twice it's normal size, is not broken. I retreat to the foxhole that is by bedroom, with ice packs and medicine that makes me more happy than martinis.

Raise a glass for me today, hope to see you all soon.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Awwwww Lisa! That sucks fiercely.

Get thee some rest and enjoy the good painkillers! We'll see you soon.

A toast to your health will follow this evening...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Poor, poor Lisa. Sorry about your wound.

You didn't miss much though. Not the killer martinis at Davio's, nor the multi-meat extravaganza (scallops! shrimp! prosciutto! lamb!) that Katie's contact there brought out for us. Nor the kickass pho and spring rolls and summer rolls and sate soup at the Train afterwards. Nor the Singapore Sling that put me down for the count.

Okay. gotta sleep now. Hope you feel better soon.

Wow, this is the first time I've seen non-Chinese refer to it as the train.

Glad you had a good time.

What? I thought everyone called Pho Xe Lua "The Soup Train"! :laugh:

We had a blast. Davio's is an excellent Happy Hour stop. Aside from the great $5.00 martinis, they bring out free pizza and those amazing cheesesteak spring rolls - oh yeah! Cheesesteak makings wrapped in spring roll wrappers and deep fried. What coud be bad about that? :biggrin: Then they slice them and put a dollop of Sriracha kicked up ketchup on each piece of roll. Yeah baby! That's some great bar food! And Chuck the bartender is a constant source of amusement. He does the best Rodney Dangerfield routine and loves to trade silly jokes.

It turns out that a former co-worker of mine from Striped Bass is now Sous Chef at Davio's. He was kind enough to send out a little bar snack for all of us that consisted of a seared scallop, a grilled prosciutto wrapped shrimp and a lovely medallion of lamb on a bed of roasted corn. I have never had a full scale meal at Davio's, having only been there at the bar or for a wine tasting event, but if that was any indication of the caliber of the food there, I will be going in for dinner very soon. It was excellent and perfectly cooked.

So when are we doing that again??? :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Wow! Right, Andrew, I didn't miss much :angry:

Thanks for the well wishes. I might pick up a cast boot tomorrow so I can get back to being Ms. Froma-natrix with the cheese.

I've also noticed that most great evenings in Philly end up in Chinatown.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

...so I can get back to being Ms. Froma-natrix with the cheese....

516.gif

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Lisa: sorry, that was mean of me. You were definitely missed.

Herb: I always call it the Train. For two reasons. First, because I'm self-conscious about whether I'm pronouncing the name correctly: fuh shay lew-ah? Foe sheh looa? Phoo shoo loo? It's just embarassing, I tell ya.

Also, because trains are fun! "All aboard the Soup Train! Stops at Tripeton, Phoville and Drunken Junction..."