• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

vodka suggestions (merged)

alphaiii

I made the trip to the LCBO today to aquire some Noilly Prat. Of course, then I had to try it with the Pearl vodka for a martini as I had not had a chance before to pair this vermouth with Pearl.

What can I say? I'm in heaven. I may even throw out my bottle of Martini Rossi. Crisp, clear, some citrus notes, but way way better than the Rossi in my opinion. :smile:

Haha...The more you talk about Pearl the more that bottle seems to whisper my name. :biggrin:

I may even throw out my bottle of Martini Rossi.

Save it to cook with. Almost anytime a recipe calls for white wine, you can use dry vermouth instead (a la Julia).

The Svedka I wasn't too thrilled with. I only tried a chilled shot of it. It'll be fine for mixing, but that is the only thing I'll use it for. Since it is so inexpensive, I will probably end up buying it again.

I should have made it clear that I was recommending the Svedka as a mixing vodka (the only way I use vodka). The only brands I've compared it with directly were Skyy, which I thought was harsher, and Vox, which seemed about the same in drinks.

I should have made it clear that I was recommending the Svedka as a mixing vodka (the only way I use vodka). The only brands I've compared it with directly were Skyy, which I thought was harsher, and Vox, which seemed about the same in drinks.

Actually that was the impression I got from your post, that you only used it for mixing. I just always feel the need to try a chilled shot of vodka when I buy a bottle.

It'll be fine for mixing, and it won't empty out my wallet as much as some other brands.

Here is how I would rank, not considering price, the unflavored vodka's I've had to date (excluding the bottom shelf stuff that no one cares about):

1. Vincent Van Gogh

2. Grey Goose

3. Ketel One

4. Rain

5. Finlandia

6. Stolichnaya

7. Pinnacle

8. Svedka

9. Absolut

10. Fris

11. Smirnoff

In the future I'd like to try Pearl, Tito's, Teton Glacier, and Luksusowa.

I just thought it'd be interesting to see how everyone ranks some of the vodka's they've tried.

I'd be very interested in seeing how everyone would rank different vodkas, not considering price. I haven't tried many and I think it would save me quite a bit of money if I knew some that just aren't worth buying.

I wanted a good vodka to try some infusing but hear it is better to use a 100 proof. I did a cinnamon clove infusion with Grey Goose, even though it is not 100 proof. I know you all think it's a waste of a good vodka but this infusion is wonderful, even better than I had hoped. And did I mention that it is wonderful? :biggrin: The best 100 proof our local spirit shoppe had is Absolut, so I did pick up a bottle of that. I was reluctant because I bought Absolut raspberry and did not care for it at all. But I decided it may have just been the fact that it was a flavored vodka. I found it to be harsher than Grey Goose and it smelled a little like rubbing alcohol, but then that isn't a fair comparison because the Grey Goose is only 80 proof. The next time I buy vodka I think I will try the Absolut 80 proof and see if it's worth using for mixing instead of Grey Goose. I infused the Absolut 100 with red raspberries. It doesn't go down as smoothly as the Grey Goose cinnamon infusion but I am keeping in mind that it is 100 proof instead of 80 and that raspberries are tart and acidic compared to cinnamon. Still, the raspberry infusion is certainly good enough to drink straight so I'm not complaining. However, I don't think I will use 100 proof for infusing in the future as it makes a very strong drink. I'd rather be able to enjoy more than a couple of drinks before getting drunk and I'd like to use enough in a drink to get a good taste of the infusion.

I'd be very interested in seeing how everyone would rank different vodkas, not considering price. I haven't tried many and I think it would save me quite a bit of money if I knew some that just aren't worth buying.

I wanted a good vodka to try some infusing but hear it is better to use a 100 proof. I did a cinnamon clove infusion with Grey Goose, even though it is not 100 proof. I know you all think it's a waste of a good vodka but this infusion is wonderful, even better than I had hoped. And did I mention that it is wonderful? :biggrin: The best 100 proof our local spirit shoppe had is Absolut, so I did pick up a bottle of that. I was reluctant because I bought Absolut raspberry and did not care for it at all. But I decided it may have just been the fact that it was a flavored vodka. I found it to be harsher than Grey Goose and it smelled a little like rubbing alcohol, but then that isn't a fair comparison because the Grey Goose is only 80 proof. The next time I buy vodka I think I will try the Absolut 80 proof and see if it's worth using for mixing instead of Grey Goose. I infused the Absolut 100 with red raspberries. It doesn't go down as smoothly as the Grey Goose cinnamon infusion but I am keeping in mind that it is 100 proof instead of 80 and that raspberries are tart and acidic compared to cinnamon. Still, the raspberry infusion is certainly good enough to drink straight so I'm not complaining. However, I don't think I will use 100 proof for infusing in the future as it makes a very strong drink. I'd rather be able to enjoy more than a couple of drinks before getting drunk and I'd like to use enough in a drink to get a good taste of the infusion.

The entire line of Absoluts are the "well" brand we use here at my restaurant, Rouge. It's perfectly fine for mixing, and most of the "vodka up" drinkers express a preference for Grey Goose or Belvedere, which we also carry.

Denaka is what I use at home for mixing. Reasonably priced and good smooth flavor.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I wanted a good vodka to try some infusing but hear it is better to use a 100 proof.

Ida, check out this thread on vodka and infusions for some good information.

The point in using a 100-proof spirit is that the higher the percentage of alcohol, the faster and more complete the infusion is. Most of the time, you'd want to add water (or sweeteners, in the case of liqueurs like limoncello) to bring the proof down to around 80 after you're done infusing.

While it's true that I haven't done lots of infusions, I haven't found much difference using 100 proof and 80 proof spirits -- the 80 proof takes longer, but the flavor is not noticeably different.

Anyone try LEVEL yet? It's the new super premium vodka by Absolut. I have a sample bottle chilling away in my freezer right now.

We carry the Level also. It's very good for a premium vodka.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I haven't tried Level. It wasn't on the shelf but it is on the shoppe list so it can be ordered. It is only $1 more than Grey Goose here. Would be interesting to know if it is better.

JAZ, I thought about watering the 100 proof infusion down a little but then that would also water down the raspberry taste. I am completely new to infusing but I think I would rather use a good 80 proof and just use more of whatever I am infusing it with. Thank you for the thread info. I've read it actually, and that is what got me interested in trying some infusing of my own. I posted a ? there before but didn't get any replies. I'm sure it is a subject that has been discussed at great lengths and after all, if the best 100 proof here is Absolut then of course that is the 100 proof that I would have to use, so my ? in that thread wasn't really worth answering anyway. I find the whole infusing idea to be very interesting and would love to learn more about it from some that have already gone through the trials and errors. Like after I had my raspberry infusion steeping for a few days I read on a website that raspberries should be muddled. My infusion was beautiful and clear, but I went ahead and muddled them. Now my infusion is not beautiful and clear and it doesn't want to go through a filter. It still tastes very good, but it would be nice if it were clear. I strained it and made some simple syrup and added that. It tastes great, but next time I will not muddle the raspberries and see if the flavor is as good. I've read online that after adding the simple syrup one should let the infusion rest for a month. I don't really know if I have the patience for that. :hmmm: That cinnamon clove infusion keeps calling my name from the freezer. Like that stuff is going to see next month!

Ah, Katie, you've tried the Level. You say it's very good, I'm going to have to try it. I haven't seen it in the bottle, just on a list. I didn't know it is made by Absolut. That list of vodkas to try just keeps getting longer.

:huh: Has anyone tried the soy based vodka called "3" ? My favorite liquor store has "nip" bottles (A.K.A. "miniatures") for 2.99. I'm not a vodka fan, but this has me curious :unsure:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Ah, Katie, you've tried the Level. You say it's very good, I'm going to have to try it. I haven't seen it in the bottle, just on a list. I didn't know it is made by Absolut. That list of vodkas to try just keeps getting longer.

Ida:

The Level vodka is Absolut's entry into the "ultra-premium" market previously occupied by Belvedere, Grey Goose, Pearl, etc.

I thought it was good, but really if I were to spend between $25-30 on a bottle of high end vodka, there's no question it would be the Zyr. That's the best vodka I've ever tasted, hands down.

Apparently Sean "P. Diddy" Combs agrees with me,. He had like 30 cases of the Zyr shipped to Morocco for his elaborate birthday bash. :rolleyes:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

My vodka rankings (of the ones I have tried)

1. Pearl

2. Belvedere

3. Kettel One

4. Skyy

5. Absolut

6. Smirnoff Black

7. Grey Goose

That's all I've tried

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Katie,  I've never heard of Zyr vodka.  Is that available in PA?

Ida:

It's available in PA by special order for now, however my sales rep tells me they're hoping to have the product "listed" for PLCB retail some time in the next few months. However, if you were to cross the bridge from Philly to NJ, the Zyr is absolutely available at Canals' liquor store on Rt. 38 in Cherry Hill.

Zyr's website HERE has a place where you can look for retailers in your state. So far it's only NY, NJ, FL and CA at retail. Special orders in other places.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Katie, I'm in the southwest corner of PA so I won't be going to NJ anytime soon. You say it can be special ordered? So, our local Wine & Spirit Shoppe can get it for me? If it's the best you've had hands down then it should be worth finding.

Marlene, Wow, you said you never cared for Grey Goose and I guess you really don't. Have you had the plain or the flavored? I've heard the flavored Grey Goose isn't good but I've never had it myself. If you've had the plain and find it to be the worst you've ever had :blink: Everyone has their own taste. Reminds me of fried green tomatoes. My husband loves those things but I can't down them.

Hi!

New member as of today. I had lurked a few times over the last few months and when I saw this post, I had to add my 2 cents.

I've found a fantastic premium vodka (I'm usually a Goose drinker) that I'm ga-ga for - it's Russian, called Rodnik. Smoothest vodka I've ever had. It's not cheap, about $30 for a 1 liter bottle. So it's actually a little cheaper than the $25/750ml bottles. It's a rectangular bottle and it comes with a shot glass on the top of it that looks like the top of a Russian building. I had quite a collection of them for a while. I finally threw them out because I couldn't find a purpose for them. :wink:

I must say I'm really surprised at all of the Pearl fans here. I tried it, but it just wasn't to my liking. Maybe I'll have to give it another try.

Glad I finally joined! Can't wait to chat with you all!

jami

Welcome jami!

Ida, you can talk to your local PLCB store and tell them that the Zyr vodka is carried by Southern Wine & Spirits. They should be able to take it for you from there.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Welcome Jami!! Ahhhh, a fellow goose fan. :biggrin:

I'm pretty new to these parts myself.

I don't know of that vodka. I'm in PA maybe it's not around here.

Katie,

Thanks, I will most certainly try it.

Thank you, Katie, Ida!

Yes, I keep trying new ones, but if I can't get Rodnik, I only fall back on Grey Goose for martinis. I'm not as picky when it comes to mixing vodka with anything else.

I just tried Shakers - eh - not impressed.

Here's a pic of the Rodnik bottle:

vodka.jpg

It's worth the hunt.

Ida, seeing that you are a Grey Goose fan and live in PA, I figured I'd let you know about this deal going on, since I stumbled on it online today, and hadn't seen anything about it in stores that I've been in.

http://www.pawineandspirits.com/SpectacularSavings_p2.html

It's only in certain stores, so I'm not sure if you can take advantage of it or not, depending where you live. Anyway, it's a pretty good deal. It works out to paying a little less than $20 for a fifth, which is better than the usual $24.99.

Ida, seeing that you are a Grey Goose fan and live in PA, I figured I'd let you know about this deal going on, since I stumbled on it online today, and hadn't seen anything about it in stores that I've been in.

http://www.pawineandspirits.com/SpectacularSavings_p2.html

It's only in certain stores, so I'm not sure if you can take advantage of it or not, depending where you live. Anyway, it's a pretty good deal. It works out to paying a little less than $20 for a fifth, which is better than the usual $24.99.

Those larger format bottles (1L vs. 750ml) are usually only available to restaurants in PA. But since the PLCB has such huge buying power they sometimes get a boatload of something and will put it on sale to consumers at the regular retail stores, "Specialty Stores" or at one of the six PLCB "Outlet" stores around the state.

This happens with wine too and is often a wonderful thing. For example, the state will buy up the last 200 cases of a wine when the winery needs to make room in their warehouse for the next vintage and then offer it for a ridiculous price. I talk about that a bit in THIS thread.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!