• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

vodka suggestions (merged)

alphaiii

alphaiii, The store here has them. I bought 2 of em. :biggrin: I got one and then decided at that price I should get another so I went back a few days later. I didn't notice the rum on sale too. hmmmm

Those larger format bottles (1L vs. 750ml) are usually only available to restaurants in PA.  But since the PLCB has such huge buying power they sometimes get a boatload of something and will put it on sale to consumers at the regular retail stores, "Specialty Stores" or at one of the six PLCB "Outlet" stores around the state.

This happens with wine too and is often a wonderful thing.  For example, the state will buy up the last 200 cases of a wine when the winery needs to make room in their warehouse for the next vintage and then offer it for a ridiculous price.  I talk about that a bit in THIS thread.

I was unaware of this. Thanks for filling me in. I'll have to be on the lookout for this sort of thing in the future.

That would explain why the store near me had Belvedere liters on sale for the same price as the 750ml bottles.

Is there an outlet store around Pittsburgh? I would think there would be, but I have never heard one referred to as that.

Edited by alphaiii (log)

In looking at that again, I see Jose Cuervo Tequila Especial is on sale too. I haven't had that one, is it a good tequila?

Tequila is my liquor of choice, and in my opinion, Jose Cuervo Especial is not good at all. Granted there are much worse, but that goes without saying. Cuervo is well marketed, and is reasonably priced for what you're getting.

Of course, it all depends on what you want it for. Unfortunately, tequila is a very expensive liquor in general, so Cuervo makes an economical choice, especially at that price. And since the many of people think of Cuervo "good tequila", you can't go wrong with it. When entertaining quests, most people would be content with Cuervo margaritas.

However, for me, I opt for slightly more expensive 100% agave products (Cuervo is a mixto, 51% agave), such as Sauza Hornitos or 1800 Reposado (which is now 100% agave). These are my choice tequilas for margaritas - pretty good flavor and not overly expensive. There are others I prefer when it comes to shooting or sipping, but unfortunately, they are more expensive.

I've had tequila several times while out, but never kept it at home. I almost bought a bottle of the 1800 last weekend but wasn't sure if it was a particularly good choice. I'm curious which ones you like for shots.

Hey! I thought this was a vodka thread! :wink::raz:

Have you ever tried Cuervo's "Familia de Reserva"? It's amazing! It runs about $100 a bottle retail. A neighborhood bar introduced me to it, calling it their $10 shot.

I think that is just criminal to waste a fine sipping tequila like that on a shot. :wacko: It deserves serious respect!!

Those larger format bottles (1L vs. 750ml) are usually only available to restaurants in PA.  But since the PLCB has such huge buying power they sometimes get a boatload of something and will put it on sale to consumers at the regular retail stores, "Specialty Stores" or at one of the six PLCB "Outlet" stores around the state.

This happens with wine too and is often a wonderful thing.  For example, the state will buy up the last 200 cases of a wine when the winery needs to make room in their warehouse for the next vintage and then offer it for a ridiculous price.  I talk about that a bit in THIS thread.

I was unaware of this. Thanks for filling me in. I'll have to be on the lookout for this sort of thing in the future.

That would explain why the store near me had Belvedere liters on sale for the same price as the 750ml bottles.

Is there an outlet store around Pittsburgh? I would think there would be, but I have never heard one referred to as that.

There's a listing of the six outlet stores HERE

There's also a good link for the PLCB HERE. At the bottom of that page you can click on monthly sales and the Premium Value sales each month (I have those pages bookmarked!). That's where I do most of my bargain hunting for "recreational use" as opposed to what I buy for the restaurant. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I've had tequila several times while out, but never kept it at home. I almost bought a bottle of the 1800 last weekend but wasn't sure if it was a particularly good choice. I'm curious which ones you like for shots.

1800 Reposado is what you will find in the majority of bars as their premium tequila, unless of course you're at a cantina or mexican restaurant.

I havent had that many of the "premium" 100% agave tequilas, since they are so expensive.

Of the one's I've tried I enjoyed:

1800 Anejo

Don Julio Reposado (not available in PA, I had it in Mexico)

Gran Centenario Reposado

Cabo Wabo Silver

El Tesoro Reposado

I don't mind shots of Hornitos or 1800 Reposado, I just prefer the above.

I wasn't too impressed with Jose Cuervo Traditional or Cazadores Reposado. Sauza Commemorativa was another I didn't particularly care to do shots of, although for a mixto it actually made a decent margarita.

I got the 1800 anejo and Centenario at the duty free in Mexico considerably cheaper than they are in PA. While I like them both, I will never buy them at the price they are here, way too expensive.

The El Tesoro is somewhat unique, in that there is a subtle smell and taste of green olives/olive oil. It's different, but good.

Hey! I thought this was a vodka thread! :wink::raz:

Have you ever tried Cuervo's "Familia de Reserva"? It's amazing! It runs about $100 a bottle retail. A neighborhood bar introduced me to it, calling it their $10 shot.

I think that is just criminal to waste a fine sipping tequila like that on a shot. :wacko: It deserves serious respect!!

I could never bring myself to spend $100 on one bottle of tequila. Unless of course I become really rich sometimes soon.

There's also a good link for the PLCB HERE. At the bottom of that page you can click on monthly sales and the Premium Value sales each month (I have those pages bookmarked!). That's where I do most of my bargain hunting for "recreational use" as opposed to what I buy for the restaurant. :biggrin:

LOL....I check the monthly sales every month. I sorta base my shopping around them. For instance, since Pearl is on sale next month, I'll hold off to save a couple bucks. This month I will be trying Tito's.

I've spent some time checking out the online product catalog too.

I just couldnt find anything about the outlet stores. Thanks for the link.

There's also a good link for the PLCB HERE.  At the bottom of that page you can click on monthly sales and the Premium Value sales each month (I have those pages bookmarked!).  That's where I do most of my bargain hunting for "recreational use" as opposed to what I buy for the restaurant.  :biggrin:

LOL....I check the monthly sales every month. I sorta base my shopping around them. For instance, since Pearl is on sale next month, I'll hold off to save a couple bucks. This month I will be trying Tito's.

I've spent some time checking out the online product catalog too.

I just couldnt find anything about the outlet stores. Thanks for the link.

You're one step ahead of me. I like that about you! :biggrin: Thanks for the heads up on the Pearl. I've been looking to try it so this will be my excuse. Over the weekend I was buying some wine at my local Outlet store and I found the Ciroc vodka from France I've heard so much about. Then I saw the regular price and got a bad case of sticker shock. :shock: It's $30.99/bottle. The Zyr is about the same, but at least that's a known entity. And definitely worth it IMHO.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Katie and/or JAZ, any comments on Shakers? I like it, but then again, since it's a MN product, I could be biased...

Susan:

Sadly, the Shakers vodka is not available in PA yet, I just checked. I've read about it in various publications and it seems to get good reviews, so my curiosity is definitely peaked. Perhaps I'll look for it next time I'm in a retail liquor shop in another nearby state.

The El Tesoro is somewhat unique, in that there is a subtle smell and taste of green olives/olive oil. It's different, but good.

Alphaiii:

Since there's a tequila hijacking in the works on this thread I'll weigh in with my opinion. :biggrin: We carry the El Tesoro at my restaurant and use it in what we call a "Platinum Martini". Basically we're talking about a Cosmopolitan made with El Tesoro instead of vodka - El Tesoro, Triple sec, cranberry juice and a splash of sour mix. They're dangerously tasty!

For other "sipping tequila" I'm personally fond of the El Patron Gold. Unfortunately, I'm having an insanely difficult time finding it in PA right now and that sucks because I wanted to get a nice high end GOLD tequila for the restaurant. We've had a few customers asking for it, and of course I'd like to have anything I know folks definitely want. I might have to end up going with the Herradura Gold or something else instead.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

IN our market ( Vancouver , B.C. , Canada ) where the gubment controls what we drink, the best bet for my money, is Ketel One.

We have other premium vod's Grey goode , Belvedere etc but the are $45.00 a bottle. Ketel is $27 a bottle and is just as good. I must qualify that by saying that I don't think that there is a huge gap between these brands other than the price.

Rocks, a twist , it's all good !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Alphaiii:

Since there's a tequila hijacking in the works on this thread I'll weigh in with my opinion. :biggrin: We carry the El Tesoro at my restaurant and use it in what we call a "Platinum Martini". Basically we're talking about a Cosmopolitan made with El Tesoro instead of vodka - El Tesoro, Triple sec, cranberry juice and a splash of sour mix. They're dangerously tasty!

For other "sipping tequila" I'm personally fond of the El Patron Gold. Unfortunately, I'm having an insanely difficult time finding it in PA right now and that sucks because I wanted to get a nice high end GOLD tequila for the restaurant. We've had a few customers asking for it, and of course I'd like to have anything I know folks definitely want. I might have to end up going with the Herradura Gold or something else instead.

The El Tesoro I have is the Reposado. I've heard the Platinum is good though, and I would like to try it. I went with the Reposado though since I have a taste for them. But I do need to do some sampling of Blancos/Platas (whites/silvers), since I haven't had any premium ones aside from Cabo Wabo Blanco.

As far as the Patron, I find it interesting the way PA does that with several tequilas. Don Julio Anejo and Blanco are available but Reposado isn't. El Tesoro Anejo and Platinum are at regular retail stores, while the Reposado is only at the specialty stores. Maybe Reposados aren't don't sell as well or something. It just sucks for me since I prefer them to the Anejos. But the jury is still out on the whites/silvers for me.

According to the LCB product catalog, you can only get the Patron Reposado by SLO. I assume that is the one you meant by "GOLD". The Silver and Anejo are readily available though.

Alphaiii:

Since there's a tequila hijacking in the works on this thread I'll weigh in with my opinion.  :biggrin: We carry the El Tesoro at my restaurant and use it in what we call a "Platinum Martini".  Basically we're talking about a Cosmopolitan made with El Tesoro instead of vodka - El Tesoro, Triple sec, cranberry juice and a splash of sour mix.  They're dangerously tasty!

For other "sipping tequila" I'm personally fond of the El Patron Gold.  Unfortunately, I'm having an insanely difficult time finding it in PA right now and that sucks because I wanted to get a nice high end GOLD tequila for the restaurant.  We've had a few customers asking for it, and of course I'd like to have anything I know folks definitely want. I might have to end up going with the Herradura Gold or something else instead.

The El Tesoro I have is the Reposado. I've heard the Platinum is good though, and I would like to try it. I went with the Reposado though since I have a taste for them. But I do need to do some sampling of Blancos/Platas (whites/silvers), since I haven't had any premium ones aside from Cabo Wabo Blanco.

As far as the Patron, I find it interesting the way PA does that with several tequilas. Don Julio Anejo and Blanco are available but Reposado isn't. El Tesoro Anejo and Platinum are at regular retail stores, while the Reposado is only at the specialty stores. Maybe Reposados aren't don't sell as well or something. It just sucks for me since I prefer them to the Anejos. But the jury is still out on the whites/silvers for me.

According to the LCB product catalog, you can only get the Patron Reposado by SLO. I assume that is the one you meant by "GOLD". The Silver and Anejo are readily available though.

There's a "regular" listed Patron Gold (PLCB code #3145) that is the one I'm having trouble getting. It's about $50. The Reposado is curiously only $53.19 so perhaps I'll find out which purveyor carries it and do the SLO* from them.

*SLO stands for Special Liquor Order in PA. This is what you have to do if a product isn't "Listed", meaning it's carried in either the regular State liquor stores or the State "Specialty" stores. A friend of mine once cracked me up by referring to it as an SOL as in "Shit out of Luck" because she said that's what always happened when she tried to find a great wine or spirit she'd had elsewhere and couldn't just grab it off a shelf at the nearest PLCB shop :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

There's a "regular" listed Patron Gold (PLCB code #3145) that is the one I'm having trouble getting. It's about $50. The Reposado is curiously only $53.19 so perhaps I'll find out which purveyor carries it and do the SLO* from them.

The Patron #3145 is the anejo. I swear I have seen it, but I can't remember where. Just have them transfer it to your nearest store.

I emailed the LCB asking about El Grito Anejo once, since it was listed in the catalog but I couldn't find it anywhere, and the response said there were still a few floating around and one could be shipped to my closest store free of charge.

I think I love you girls. Well, girls/guys, I don't know which for some of you. I hadn't thought of trying to find the PLCB website for sales. I never really thought about sales being a state thing or an individual store thing. How nice they tell next months sales too.

I think I love you girls. Well, girls/guys, I don't know which for some of you.

:biggrin: .....Guy here, depsite the fact I plan my liquor buying around the monthly sales. Hey, gotta save the money where I can. It's not like I buy the cheap stuff.

I don't bother buying the cheaper stuff either. I really don't drink all that often so when I do have some, I want it to be good.

Nice to see a couple eGulleteers in PA. :smile: I am south of Pittsburgh.

There's a "regular" listed Patron Gold (PLCB code #3145) that is the one I'm having trouble getting.  It's about $50.  The Reposado is curiously only $53.19 so perhaps I'll find out which purveyor carries it and do the SLO* from them.

The Patron #3145 is the anejo. I swear I have seen it, but I can't remember where. Just have them transfer it to your nearest store.

I emailed the LCB asking about El Grito Anejo once, since it was listed in the catalog but I couldn't find it anywhere, and the response said there were still a few floating around and one could be shipped to my closest store free of charge.

I already did that last week and they tried to get me one but failed. The other issue is that I don't really want to put an item on the menu that won't consistently be available and I have to jump through so many hoops to acquire. It's different buying for a restaurant and trying to keep the public at large happy instead just making myself smile when I open up my liquor cabinet at home. I'm a little easier to please in that just having any high end bottle of tequila would make me happy. :biggrin: Not necessarliy so with high maintenance customers. :rolleyes:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Marlene, Wow, you said you never cared for Grey Goose and I guess you really don't. Have you had the plain or the flavored? I've heard the flavored Grey Goose isn't good but I've never had it myself. If you've had the plain and find it to be the worst you've ever had :blink: Everyone has their own taste. Reminds me of fried green tomatoes. My husband loves those things but I can't down them.

True. Sad, but true. I tried the plain Grey Goose Vodka. I just found it musty, but hey it's probably just me. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Well I got a little adventurous today and ordered in some Van Gogh Dutch Chocolate with the Van Gogh Rapsody liqueur.

I really have no idea why I got the urge to try chocolate vodka, or how it is actually gonna taste, but curiosity got the best of me. For some reason that Chocolate Rapsody martini was calling to me. Plus, I was so impressed with regular Van Gogh that I figured why not try one of the flavored line.

I'll be sure let you all know how I like it, whenever it gets in.

Katie, do you know how long an SLO usually takes to get in?

BTW, I went with the SLO since the vodka ended up only being $14.59 that way, and the Rapsody sounded interesting.

Well I got a little adventurous today and ordered in some Van Gogh Dutch Chocolate with the Van Gogh Rapsody liqueur. 

I really have no idea why I got the urge to try chocolate vodka, or how it is actually gonna taste, but curiosity got the best of me.  For some reason that Chocolate Rapsody martini was calling to me.  Plus, I was so impressed with regular Van Gogh that I figured why not try one of the flavored line. 

I'll be sure let you all know how I like it, whenever it gets in. 

Katie, do you know how long an SLO usually takes to get in? 

BTW, I went with the SLO since the vodka ended up only being $14.59 that way, and the Rapsody sounded interesting.

Alphaiii:

I think it depends a lot on whether the local office of the purveyor that carries it has the item in question in stock or as to special order it for you themselves. Obviously it would also depend on how much you're ordering. Getting four cases of a hard-to-find-in-the-first-place wine will take far longer than getting one bottle of the special high end spirit you want, particularly if there are other customers (like restaurants) in your area that carry it so it would be something they'd have around and keep stocked for the customers that reorder it frequently (like restaurants).

The Van Gogh Chocolate is yummy! It's like an instant Chocolate martini with no Godiva involved. Chill and go, no muss no fuss! But you have to really like chocolate martinis. Some might think the "alcohol-y" flavor of vodka overwhelms the chocolate. I think it'd be good for mixing with Kahlua or Bailey's or something like that to make variations on Black and White Russians or things of that nature.

Let us know if you like it!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!