• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is this what you want your Barolo to be?

Craig Camp

From the new Sam's mailer:

2000 LUCIANO SANDRONE, CANNUBI BOSCHIS BAROLO  - 97 pts. Wine Spectator -" Solid and superfruity. Ultraclean"

Superfruity and ultra-clean??

Is this what you want your Barolo to taste like?

Oh, by the way it's $140 a bottle.

Not for me thanks, and not at that price. I'm still learning about Barolo, but even I know that's not the way they're supposed to taste.

Funny coincidence, a few days ago the same wine, but different vintage ('96) caused a very heated discussion on an Italian wine forum because of the 100 points it got from Parker on the Hedonist's gazzette. I was not surprised to find Italians that like this style of wines. I was a bit confused when I heard these people attack those who prefer "traditional" (whatever that means) Baroli in such an aggressive way.

Is there a similar attitude between producers?

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

Clean, of course. Solid, naturally. Super-fruity, pass.

A few jab and run comments: 1) That's the 2000 vintage for you; 2) That's Sandrone for you; 3) That's Wine Spectator for you.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero