• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brussels pastry shops

confiseur

I have a couple of well earned days off at the end of August.........and will be visiting Brussels.......Can anyone recommend me any pastry shops to visit?. I know of Wittamar and Marcolini on the Place Sablon,but thats all.

Any information gratefully received. :unsure:

Thank you Wendy.........:smile:

I know its not an easy ask particularly as most of the forums members are based States-side of the water.

I am familiar with Wittamar and Marcolini who are both excellent but after that I am struggling, however no great problem if nothing turns up-I will eat my way through Brussels excellent chocolate shops instead!

As you said, "Wittamer", place du Grand Sablon is a must for pastry shop.

But you can also go the the "Grand'Place" where you could buy excellent "pralines" from "Godiva".

If you are a cookie lover, you have to go to "Biscuiterie Dandoy" (http://www.biscuiteriedandoy.be/) located 31 rue au Beurre, near the Grand'Place. Here you will find the best "Speculoos" and "Pain aux amandes" in Brussels.

I hope you will enjoy your visit in Belgium :wink:

There are two Pierre Marcolini's in Brussels. The one at the Conrad (avenue Louise) seems less picked over than the one at place du grand sablon.

One of my favorite restos in Brussels is right next door to the Pierre Marcolini at Grand Sablon -- le vieux mairie. Good food and full of locals.

I'm a big fan of Dandoy too. I like to buy bulk, though they have nice packaging for gifts.

Though its a chain, le pain quotidien has a pretty nice selection of small chocolate tablettes and tasty treats for the train rides to Paris, London and Brugges. There is a caffe tasse store on rue du beurre (I think), which sells pastries and chocolates. They have nice gifts also and a small eating area.

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

• 1 year later...

Pierre Marcolini on grand sablon has moved to a bigger location down the street and on a cross street. I can't really describe it, but it wasn't where I thought it would be and it confused the heck out of me.

Its really moved into a swanky destination store now. Great looking pastries, a floor of just teas and tablettes, very swish.

Something called pierre's tarts serving savory pastries has moved into the other space, same typeface being used, so its very confusing.

I was in Brussels on Saturday. Nothing really new has opened in the chocolate world. We did Pierre Marcolini and cafe tasse, skipped Galler, Neuhaus and Wittamer and skipped Dandoy as well.

I spent most of Friday running from one chocolate place in paris to another. I am chocolated and macaroned out.

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

i recently made a trip to bruxelles to buy some tarte tins impossible to get in germany and to steal an idea or two from the major league guys ;-)

gallery_11197_2639_72327.jpg

tarterie de pierre with a nice meringue tarte

gallery_11197_2639_34162.jpg

unbelievable tatin d abricot

gallery_11197_2639_49055.jpg

tarte au saumon with spinach

gallery_11197_2639_285470.jpg

pierre marcolini layered desserts

gallery_11197_2639_100406.jpg

these little thingies (marcolini) really looked as if they were "airbrushed" with chocolate...

gallery_11197_2639_205373.jpg

flan de naranja at marcolini

gallery_11197_2639_80142.jpg

thats how they serve a hot chocolate in many cafes (with a tiny little shot of chocolate mousse)

gallery_11197_2639_112177.jpg

some incredible earl grey sugar cookies at dandoy

gallery_11197_2639_1501.jpg

also dandoy

gallery_11197_2639_150571.jpg

brioche, sliced smeared with a butter sugar mixture and baked again... HELL!!!

gallery_11197_2639_33997.jpg

dandoy mothership

gallery_11197_2639_114623.jpg

dandoy mothership - pain d epices etc.

gallery_11197_2639_65351.jpg

dandoy mothership

have fun

t.

Edited by schneich (log)

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

Beautiful photos, schneich. Thank you very much for sharing them and including the annotation alongside.

Did you happen to taste the Early Grey cookies? They look amazing; I may need to try something like this.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

From a long term Brussels resident - on Dandoy´s Earl Grey biscuits, the only thing I can do is to quote James Joyce ´"....yes....".

Admission - I live within walking distance of a Marcolini shop and have worked hard on resisting the layered desserts. Schneich's photo have finally killed months of good intentions.

By the way schneich - where do you go to in Brussels for things like tarte tins? I often go to Germany for serious kitchen gear - destination trips such as e.g. Manufactum in Bonn (also on web at manufactum in german or manufactum in English (but a bit limited)