• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best Pint

A pint of real ale is something of a British Instution. Don't drink it myself, but I figure it's one of those things that visitors from overseas might enjoy.

So, where are the quintessential British pubs? Not Gastropubs, there's a thread for them elsewhere. What are the hallmarks of a British Pub? Any regional differences? Is there anywhere we can recommend in London that doesn't serve wine from Stowells of Chelsea? Any hints on British pub ettiquette?

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

What great questions... I'm looking forward to the replies, in anticipation of our brief visit to London during the holidays. My husband has told me a lot about such pubs, and he is looking forward to going back to his favorites. However, it was during the Vietnam war that he was stationed in England (thankfully), and we're wondering about the changes since then.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

A pub that we always go back to in London is The Surprise. It's in Chelsea on Christ Church Terrace. It's a bit difficult to find and hence it's still 'Old Chelsea'. Walking down Kings Road from Sloane Square (Bywater St is on your right - the home of George Smiley) turn right onto Flood Street (you'll pass the house that was Margaret Thatchers pied a terre on your left - can't remember the number but I think it was about the fourth house in). Walk down Flood to the third turning on the left (St. Loo is on your right and Chelsea Mansions as well) and you'll be in Christ Church Terrace. Walk around that until you find The Surprise (named after HMS Surprise). Last time we were there was 5 years ago, but it really hadn't changed in the 10 year interval since we were there before.

There are two bars, a mural of Chelsea around the bar, and pretty good beer. The menu at last visit was pretty basic pub fare - bangers and mash, fish and chips, cheese salad, basic sandwiches. This is not a place you go to for the food, just the beer and 'the regulars'. I used to see Chelsea Pensioners from Chelsea Barracks just down the road. People bring their dogs, read newspapers, play cards and darts, and talk.

It's an oasis from the hustle and bustle of London that I hope hasn't changed. If you go, tell us if it's different now.

On the other side of the river at Red Cross Way, Southwark, SE1, is The Boot and Flogger(Red Cross Way runs between Southwark Street and Union Street). This is not a pub, but a wine bar. Again, we haven't been there in over five years, but as the place has been there since the 1950's I'm pretty sure it's still going strong.

Great place to see 'City Gents' having a liquid lunch ( most likely bottles of claret) and plates of tongue, roast beef or smoked salmon. They used to sell Champagne by the pint. Sawdust on the floor, cobwebs, and a great atmosphere.

Have fun!

Edited by casting@philacast.com (log)

Philly Francophiles

My preferred pubs are those with a good selection of real ales, and preferentially some historical or other atmosphere that makes them otherwise interesting. We have quite a number of favorites in London, including The Lamb (on Lamb's Conduit), Lamb & Flag (Covent Garden area) which also has classic jazz on Sunday nights, Dog & Duck (Soho), a tiny Victorian gem, the Dove, a 400 year old Thames side place.

We recommend using the "Good Pub Guide" as a start for finding places of special interest.

My experience is rather limited, but I've had some of the best pints of my life at the Wenlock Arms. Granted, it's not situated in the most charming neighborhood, but they take their beer very seriously.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Of course Leeds can stake a claim here too! (actually several but for now...)

Whitelocks - the city's oldest pub can trace its license back to 1715 has eight cask ales, four of them guests. It retains many origanal features and food (good old pub food) is more than decent.

Its address: Turks Head Year off Briggate (next to M&S)

:smile:

Edited by daw (log)

There are some good pubs in Hampshire - The Flowerpots in Cheriton (Brews it's own beer - good beer festival) is a nice country pub.

In Winchester the Wykeham arms and the Black boy excellent, as is the Albion (Which has the bonus of being right near the station).

The sad thing is that UK wide, the safest bet for a pint is a JD Wetherspoons mega pub. Not my favourite places in the world, but cheap, and usually have a half decent selection of ales.

I love animals.

They are delicious.