• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I was wondering what cheeses are made in Wales. I am partly Welsh and interested in my heritage. I know there are some but I can't remember the names. Also what Metro NYC stores might have these cheeses?

The Welsh dairy industry recently beseiged me with entreaties to taste a slew of their cheeses; they couldn't even get them past the FDA for some reason which was silly because every single one of them was a new-fangled factory cheese with no redeeming quality whatsoever (I had sampled them recently in Germany). So don't get excited when you see a few of them around, which they doubtless will be. They're completely phony.

The great Welsh cheeses are Caerphilly, and the best of it is made in Somerset; it is called Duckham's, and it is a dreamboat of a cheese. The Welsh Caerphilly is the Gorwydd Caerphilly made by the Trethowen family, also terrific. Also Tynn Grug, pronounced "tin-greek" -- Cheddar-like, magnificent; and Llangloffan by Leon Downey in Pembrokeshire, also Cheddar-like and equally magnificent. More than a few other cheesemakers in Wales (goats, sheep), but you'll have to travel to enjoy them.