• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do we think of Michael Hood?

I don't know anything about the guy, but I really liked the opening to his most recent review:

"I've eaten Chinese in Missoula, Mazatlan, Addis Ababa, Boise and Nairobi. I always say: if the choice is only between dubious Chinese food and dubious local food, take the Chinese. Maybe it's just me, but mediocre-to-bad Chinese food is better than other mediocre-to-bad food."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/56573_rest01.shtml

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I enjoy his writing and especially his humor. And I've yet to disagree with any of his reviews (although he's probably too new for that. Give him time).

For the record, I miss Gregory Roberts' column that ran on Wednesdays. I'm stuck reading only Nancy Leson's columns in the Times on Wednesdays. Don't get me wrong, what she writes is just fine (I also enjoy her writing style), but I liked the variety of two dining columns to read every Wednesday. Just one of the peeves in my little world.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

I've had dinner with Michael Hood and he's a very nice guy.  I agree with his stance on bad Chinese food.  On the other hand, I thought this was a weird way to lead off a review of a Chinese restaurant that he really liked.  Maybe he wrote this catchy lede a while ago and was waiting to stick it on something--I've certainly done that.

Seattle is small enough that all of the local reviewers know each other and have something of a mutual admiration society.  So my incisive comments end here.  Maybe we could broaden this.  What do the rest of you think of Michael Hood's reviews, and who's your favorite local reviewer?  (If it's not me, I can live with that.)

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I thought it was an interesting review, made more special to me since it's a restaurant in my neighborhood that I haven't tried yet, and hadn't even given much thought to, before I read about it.  I'm now looking forward to trying it.   I like Michael Hood's reviews, but I must say I am a fan of most reviews (even the paid advertisement ones in magazines).  I enjoy reading about food, period.   I try not to be one of those people who goes through life looking for reasons to be offended.  So I can enjoy a review or hearing views that I don't completely agree with regarding food, without getting into a snit over it, or take to name calling.  At least this is what I aspire to :-)    

As for my favorite reviewer?  ha ha... none other than our mamster.  (do I get brownie points for that?  I didn't think so :-)

Hood is a fine reviewer. His writing style is fun and loose. He also has an inside track being a former restaurant owner. He also does time with Boomtown Cafe. I was a Greg Roberts fan, however Michael Hood has done a fantastic ob and he is ahem..the best thing at the PI at this moment!