• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New and Exciting Cheeses?

Steve, welcome to eGullet.

In the last 2 years, what are the best new and exciting cheese imports that you have come across? Anything that hasn't been avaliable in the US previously?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The Italian cheeses gathered by Formaggi Guffanti; only a few shops have them as they're very expensive; you know, the raw milk Gorg made by the old lady that only makes one a day, the raw milk Taleggio di Monti from a tiny-output cheesemaker in the Dolomiti who ages his cheeses in caves near the valley of Taleggio, etc. Also the Rolf Bieler Swiss cheeses (Gruyere, etc.), again a gatherer/ripener -- phenomenal cheeses. Call Shelli at Crystal in Boston to see who has 'em (800.225.3573) besides us. Also the French stuff Chantal Plasse is putting her name on (I never thought I'd be endorsing anything she does -- she's a daddy's-girl -- her pop a famous French charcutier -- long story . . . Best French cheeses of my life. Again, ask Shelli.

The re-emergence of the great Rhone Valley cheeses, St.-Marcellin and St.-Florentin, packed in terra cotta dishes that are perfect for olives, etc. Drop-dead custardy cow's milk cheeses you merely poke at with shards of bread.

How we somehow get our hands again on the world's second-greatest cheese, Vacherin Mont d'Or.

NOT the boring Australian cheeses.

The stravecchio Parmigiano Reggiano.

Burrata -- amazing. Just lopped into messy lumps on a plate, showered with fresh-ground pepper and drizzled with ****olive oil.