• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another restaurant roundup

Some results of the Seattle Mag reader's poll are at http://www.seattlemag.com/issue/2001/10/feature3_1001.html and their editor's choices are in the zine itself.

Not to go negative or anything, but does anyone else detest Taco Del Mar?  I've tried a number of things there and never detected a pinch of flavor.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I just happen to be in Seattle at present. I saw the Seattle magazine when I got off the plane so immediately booked into Rovers (which got the accolade as the best dining experience) for the next night.

On the first night, I dined at Brasas. It was reasonable but ther ewere some severe shortcomings both with the service and the cooking. I ordered a whole tilapia which was cooked very well. It was served in an enclosed container and the juices had that awful 'winey' taste of wine that hasn't been evaporated properly.

At Rovers the service was good without being at all engaging (they are doing you a favour by letting you dine there). As for the food, it was good without being exciting. There was no 'wow' factor. A dish of guinea fowl showed a complete lack of understanding of the relationship between the delicate (yes, delicate) flesh of the bird and the highly over-reduced sauce.

So, I look forward to trying some of the other Seattle mag recommendations.

As it is Sunday night I decided to drive up to the wonderful Whole Foods supermarket and buy some ingredients for a risotto which I am currently preparing in  my apartment.

Mamster. Where do you think I should eat???

(Edited by Roger McShane at 5:09 pm on Oct. 22, 2001)

(Edited by Roger McShane at 5:10 pm on Oct. 22, 2001)

Roger McShane

Foodtourist.com

What does it mean that your fish was served in an "enclosed container"?

For a modern Seattle classic you might try Flying Fish.  They do the ethnic-accented seafood thing very well.  So does Tom Douglas's restaurant Etta's, which is my top recommendation among his three because the other two seem like clones of better restaurants elsewhere.

You can look up my reviews at http://www.seattletimes.com (search for "Amster-Burton") to see whether any of my low-budget picks strikes your fancy.

Are you going to papachef's place?  I think it's great.

There's an unusual little Italian place at Broadway and Union on First Hill, called Osteria La Spiga.  I talk about it a lot on my site (the Broadway restaurants link).  Another Italian I like is La Rustica in West Seattle;  you should definitely drive around Alki Point even if you don't eat over there.

Kingfish Cafe does great Southern food, but they're closed weird days and don't take reservations, so call (320-8757).

There's a nice little Malaysian place at 12th and Jackson called Malay Satay Hut.  They're best known for their roti canai and satay, but almost everything I've had there was great.

Are you going up to Vancouver?  I can make some more recommendations for that if you like.  Hope this helps you get started, and sorry I don't know more of the top places in town;  I just haven't had the money to adequately explore them, and so far the paper is only having me review places that I can already afford.

Do you want to meet up for a meal?

Sorry I'm checking in on this thread a bit late, but if you need Vancouver recommendations I've just been there recently and I've visited all the important places. It's a very worthwhile detour. Most of what I have to say is here:

http://www.nationalpost.com/artslife/weekendpost/story.html?f=/stories/20010818/652682.html

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Shaw, I don't know if I ever mentioned that Laurie and I took friends to Vij's based on your cross-country recommendation.  It was a truly memorable meal--the free chai and pooris while you wait were a nice touch, and the service was dynamite.  Despite the fact that it's a very trendy place and was packed to the gills that night, they made us feel like they were honored to have us (extremely nontrendy people who didn't drink very much) in their restaurant.

Of course, the food was great.  I had a curry of farmed musk ox, which basically tasted like beef but allowed me to say things like, "My, this farmed musk ox is delicious," throughout dinner.

Then the next day we went to Szechuan Chongqing.  Man, I should move to Vancouver.

• 2 weeks later...

Mamster

Thanks for the detailed response. I had to return to Australia earlier than I thought. However I did have a memorable chicken soup that had been simmered with Parmesan rinds in the traditional Italian manner at Cafe Juanita and a dull meal at Palace Kitchen. I am returning in a couple of weeks so I will try your recommendations then and will try to catch up for a meal where we can swap eating experiences in both Seattle and Bangkok!

Roger McShane

Foodtourist.com

Looking forward to it, Roger!  I liked Cafe Juanita under the previous regime and heard that the new chef/owner is even better.  I'll take your soup experience as a confirmation and make a note to get back out there.

• 1 month later...