• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kabob House

Hello Mr. Vigs. Welcome to egullet. We're always glad to have another NW poster aboard as there are too few of us here. Tell your friends!

First bite reports are always very much appreciated if you do stop in and give a new place a try.

And has anyone gone to Todoi yet? I may have to go just to satisfy my curiousity about a buffet offering 40 kinds of sushi.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Yes, Mr. Vigs...that goes ditto for me...Welcome!   After reading the review you referenced, my mouth is watering.  I love kebobs.  Please let us know some of your favorite restaurants/bites when you get a chance.

GC, I haven't been to Todai yet either.  I had sushi in W. Seattle last week, though.  Good, but it's expensive for just a few bites...that's why Todai sounds so appealing.  

By the way, what are your favorite sushi 's?  I always like magura, and fresh salmon.  Yellow tail is pretty good, too.  Have you tried  eel?

Quote: from Blue Heron on 4:31 pm on Dec. 12, 2001

By the way, what are your favorite sushi 's?  I always like magura, and fresh salmon.  Yellow tail is pretty good, too.  Have you tried  eel?

I too like fresh salmon and yellow tail and the standard California roll always does me just fine (plus it's reliably good at almost every sushi joint). I haven't been adventurous enough to try eel yet. But I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it if it was offered.

Some of my favorite places for sushi: I Love Sushi in Bellevue (I haven't yet been to the Seattle one), the Uijamaya Village deli (they've got prepackaged sushi in the deli that's quite good) and this little place in north Renton called Zen Sushi (they know me there, so I always get the best product :) And their tempura is very good).

I've even tried making a California roll at home, but have never liked the results. Maybe I'll post on the egullet cooking board and ask for a good sushi recipe :)

I'd love to hear about any other favorite sushi joints you all might have. In fact, I'm going to start a new PNW thread asking that very question :)

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

• 3 weeks later...

I love unagi (eel) sushi!!!  The eel has a sticky, slightly sweet sauce, like a teriyaki.  It's cooked fish, so if you're hesitant about eating raw fish, try the unagi.  It's a very tender, slighly oily fish, and soooo good.  A couple of Easters ago, I had a craving for unagi sushi, so I drove to Central Market in Shoreline, bought a package of frozen cooked eel, and made a couple of rolls of unagi makisushi (the kind rolled in seaweed).  It was just delicious, and didn't really take that long to make.  Do try the eel!  

Yeah, the eel is actually a good beginner piece, since it's cooked and sauced.  I went to Shiki the other day and tried octopus, and loved it.  Much better than the squid, which was pretty tasteless.

I was also at Shilla on Denny a couple weeks ago and had a bowl of rice with a big piece of grilled eel on top.  I liked it.  I understand (maybe I'll ask BON on the Japan channel) that there are restaurants in Japan that specialize in eel, and I intend to look into this if I'm ever in any part of Japan other than an airport.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

• 4 weeks later...

Ate at the Kabob house shortly after it opened.  I found the food hot, kind of dry, but not otherwise flavorful.  I was disappointed because it is just a few blocks from my house.

I really should go back though.  It isn't really fair to write off a place after it has only been in business a few weeks.

• 2 years later...

I just ate at Kabob House last night for the first time and am surprised that there isn't more chatter about it here. I had the ground beef kabob and thought it was very good. Very good and spicy. It reminds me of what my friend's mom used to make when I was in college. The naan was great (and huge!). Atmosphere is non-existent, its like a deep south BBQ joint -- run down and spartan.

Hal

I used to eat at the Kabob house once in a while but a Pakistani coworker of my boyfriend (who initially recommended the place as the best and most authentic in town) told him that it is now terrible since recently the owners sold it and opened a new place in Renton (the name of the new place escapes me). I know I should just go and judge for myself, but I haven't gotten around to it.

I love unagi (eel) sushi!!!  The eel has a sticky, slightly sweet sauce, like a teriyaki.  It's cooked fish, so if you're hesitant about eating raw fish, try the unagi.  

Seconded. In fact, unagi was the food that began my de-vegetarianizing a few years ago. I had been vegetarian for eleven years and never tried sushi before. I took one bite and never looked back and since then I've become a sushi fiend.

OBkebob: a friend tried the Kebob House recently and was pleased. Not glowing, but pleased. He said it had gone downhill from his last experience.

Edited by kieran (log)