• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dahi Wadas- Lentil Dumplings

Hi Monica!

Thanks for the nice welcome! I have been reading your threads and all your articles and love them!

I'm Savita and I live in Berkeley, CA. I love to eat and love to cook, which is especially one of the reasons I am addicted to this forum!

My mother tongue is Konkani (very similar to Marathi), but my parents are from Bangalore.

I am particularly interested in the Indian food forum because honestly my knowledge of Indian cuisine isn't nearly as vast as I would like it to be. I have been cooking since I was about 13 (I'm 26 now), but since I love food so much I have always experimented with other recipes from lots of other cultures. Now, as I grow older I really want to learn as much as I can about Indian cooking, especially South Indian cooking. I really wish I could be like my mother in the kitchen. The dahi vada recipe is actually hers.

Thanks to all who wished me such a nice welcome!

Savita

Thanks for the kind words on my articles. I have a few new ones ready to go on eG and would welcome your comments!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

update on 'mango dahi badas'-made two kinds-one with ripe mango pulp,red chilli and fresh coriander,the other with coarsely grated raw(somewhere between raw and ripening anyway)mango,fresh mint and green chillis.both seasoned with a pinch of hing and jeera fried in a little ghee.did measures by volume so half a cup of seasoned pulp to one cup of besan and then adjusted the liquid for a softer batter as needed.set aside for an hour or so then deep fried small spoonfuls until golden brown,drained and soaked in thinned yogurt seasoned with a little salt.topped up yogurt the next day and finished with some tamarind sauce and roasted powdered jeera.the verdict-the 'badas' made with ripe mango were too cloying for me-maybe use a slightly less sweet mango next time.the ones with green(ish)mango were delicious and the grated strands were particularly good to bite into.(also good as pakoras! )