• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations for a visitor?

I will be coming to DC on business this weekend (staying through Wednesday) and would be grateful for recommendations for places to eat. I will be staying downtown (Capitol Hilton) but am comfortable on the metro. I like fusion or dishes emphasizing fresh, local ingredients. Not interested in steak houses or Mexican; Vancouver has great Asian and sushi so not that appealing on the road. Thanks in advance for your help. If you are ever in Vancouver please allow me to return the favour.

Cheers,

Karole

Well, the place that emphasizes fresh local ingredients is Restaurant Eve in Old Town Alexandria (King Street Metro). One of their investors owns Westmoreland Farms, on the Rapahanock River East of Fredricksburg. There is a thread on Eve. I would also look into Ceiba downtown. There is a thread on Ceiba as well. I'm sure others will chime in.

four places that fanatically strive for fresh, local ingredients:

cashion's eat place (2004 beard award winner)

palena

obelisk

equinox

all 4 are high end restaurants in washington, dc...so you won't have to go out to the suburbs.

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

It sometimes sounds like a broken record around here, but Zaytinya (greek/middle eastern mezzes) is one place that you won't find in most other cities.

Bill Russell

Other places that emphasize good, local ingredients:

Coppi's on U street (wood burning pizza, not expensive)

Palena

Nora

Asia Nora

Dupont Farmer's Market on Sunday

Jaleo

There are a number of visitor threads from the past few months that may be useful as well. Sorry, I'm at work so I can't link it for ya!

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe