• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: adoxography - transiting Venus and Taylorville driveby

i retract all my bleary-eyed, first cup of tea in the morning attempts at cracking wise.

(edit to add: especially since if i'm not careful i might piss someone off and get fingered to do a blog myself)

carry on.

The fingeree always has the option of refusing... but I must say I think a mongo blog would be pretty damn interesting - with all due regard to Ms. V and Kiefel's marvelous and engrossing blog, I'm almost starting to regret my decision not to tag you when I had the chance.

Here here! 3 cheers for the Mongo Blog! :smile:

I can also say I did not spend any more money than usual, nor were the meals I prepared any different from what I normally cook. However the rabbit prepared near the end of the week fueled two other full meals, and was an ingredient in various treats for the whole week afterward.

Another thing that must be considered, is the time spent. I did spend a whole lot more time than usual taking photos, posting, juggling work and photos, juggling knives and the camera, getting a reptutation around the neightborhood as a freak, having lots and lots of soul riotous fun connecting to the peopel on eG, and it was so refreshing, so wonderful that I think even considering the time spent, it was well worth it. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

No one should hestitate even for a minute to think about doing the blog. It's really a trip!

Hey, what's an astroburger?

:rolleyes:

Hey, I totally agree with bleu's sig - I would say that this has definitely been good for me, if for no other reason it's been an interesting observation of myself. I don't usually keep much track of what I eat from day to day, and now there is documented proof, at least for this week of my life, that I ate something.

Astro Burgers and Galactic Burgers are the veggie and meat burger specials they have on Fridays in Galileo's. It's an interesting phenomenon actually - staff who may not eat anything upstairs, who eat lunch at their desks, what have you, it doesn't matter. All the education staff tend to gravitate upstairs, pull tables together and enjoy Burger Day. Working for a non-profit in this economy, I think this may be one of the most subconcious acts of morale boosting, it's the day where we have lunch together, in the sunlight, and talk about our week, or not. Petty squabbles with other departments, funding frustrations, all the issues that working with the public can bring who cares... it's Burger Day.

It's not that the burgers are anything so special foodwise. It's the atmosphere in which we enjoy them. The burgers, however, do play their part. When, for whatever reason, they aren't available, it's just not the same.

One week, there was an event and we weren't able to have Burger Day. The staff in Galileo's warned us in advance, and then added a Burger Day the following weekt. We were all so grateful. I think they understand how important it is for us.

So you can understand why I was miffed when there were no burgers.

--adoxograph

Yay! My copy of American Pie as recommended here has arrive on interlibrary loan and will be held at the desk for three days!

Now I'll have something to read in Taylorville. Too bad I can't read in the car.

--adoxograph

Is that the one about the girl who drove around looking for good pie? The ONE RECIPE I wanted -- for the white bean pie -- was the one she didn't bother to include. MOST irritating.

Is that the one about the girl who drove around looking for good pie?  The ONE RECIPE I wanted -- for the white bean pie -- was the one she didn't bother to include. MOST irritating.

No this one is about a guy who drove his Chevy to the levy and had some whiskey and rye. :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Home from seeing Dementors 8 stories high, and man, those things are creepy.

Lunch, a burger day substitute. Yeah, as you can see, I really had to force myself to enjoy this. :)

i8305.jpg

The IMAX theater is over on Navy Pier. And what's the best way to get there from the museums, free for museum staff? The Water Taxi of course! It was a bit windy so, notice the smoothness of the water before we left the harbor wall.

i8304.jpg

I kept the camera covered for the rest of our adventure.

And what's the best thing to do when you get back on shore?

i8303.jpg

When did it become the big thing to smother perfectly good goat cheese in tomato sauce? I've seen it so many places that it is past mere coincidence. Of course, that doesn't stop me from eating it.

We only had time for apps before the movie, and most of our conversation revolved around trying to remember which movie is being referenced by Ronnie's sig. I swear it's been driving me crazy all day. We couldn't remember. Still don't know....

Now, I'm home and hungry again, and Sarcasmo is making me...... da da da... a Veggie burger! I can't wait. Apparently he's toasting the bun and everything. I'm so lucky.

--adoxograph

So, I told him he should take a picture before giving me my dinner. Sarcasmo's reply?

"No, it's ugly, and the camera is dead."

Ok, the top roll was a little burned, but it looked great to me. Tasted damn good, too.

Funny, I'm much more concerned with the food I give to others than what I eat myself, when it comes down to it. I'm sure that will ring in some sympathetic ears.

Now, a bath and a bit of port, a book and some sleep before the roadtrip to Nowhere.

--adoxograph

can anybody who has been paying better attention summarize the loci of the various blogs?

my hasty retrospective survey reveals japan, u.s., canada, france, germany. where else?

it'd be nice to see the torch passed elsewhere, if somehow possible.

(loved harry, hated neville longbottom why so tall?)

can anybody who has been paying better attention summarize the loci of the various blogs?

my hasty retrospective survey reveals japan, u.s., canada, france, germany. where else?

Britain, South Africa, Malaysia.

Michael aka "Pan"

my hasty retrospective survey reveals japan, u.s., canada, france, germany.  where else?

Don't forget New York, Dallas, Nashville, Long Island, New Jersey, Central New York...

my hasty retrospective survey reveals japan, u.s., canada, france, germany.  where else?

Don't forget New York, Dallas, Nashville, Long Island, New Jersey, Central New York...

Those locations are all in the U.S., Lucy. :raz::laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"

Since I've been talking about masala chai all week, I figured I should show you how I make it at least once..

I start with a mix of cardamon, star anise, peppercorns and cloves in the mortar. I crush them, not too finely, leaving in the pods of cardamon, since all of this is going in a garni bag.

i8319.jpg

This is enough for a couple glasses for me. Addition of a cat at this point is optional.

i8318.jpg

I've been using powdered ginger because a well meaning friend gave me a ton of it, so after crushing I add the ginger, some broken bits of cinnamon stick and a couple spoonfuls of tea. Stir and bag.

A pot of water is brought to a boil, bag is dropped in it while boiling and left to steep until the color looks right, for me a deep brunette with auburn highlights. Sorry, TV's on. Bag comes out, sugar and milk or cream go in. It's Saturday, so it must be cream.

At home, I drink the tea in glasses, mostly because Sarcasmo has these "mexican tea glasses" (I have no idea how he came to believe that) that I love, and it gives me an excuse to use them. You know what? I really wish I had a balcony...

i8320.jpg

But now, I must begin the preparations for our road trip to Taylorville. First order of business is burning a music CD. Why you ask? Because my darling sweetie is currently obsessed with, "swedish progressive death metal that consists solely of songs in the ten to twenty minute range".

Yeah. It's a four to five hour trip.

--adoxograph

wasn't there one in Australia?  Or am I in a state of early morning hallucination? 

Maybe it's just that I haven't had any tea yet.  I should go brush my teeth.

No, that was Abita Springs, Louisiana. :laugh:

i8303.jpg

Yes it was in Abita Springs, LA. By the same guy who was one of the developers of that fine beverage that appears in the above post. :wink::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

We only had time for apps before the movie, and most of our conversation revolved around trying to remember which movie is being referenced by Ronnie's sig.  I swear it's been driving me crazy all day.  We couldn't remember.  Still don't know....

We're putting the band back together... :wink::cool:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Vindication! There was one in Australia!

OK, a road trip with Sarcasmo and Adoxograph, step 1 - planning.

Putting the two of us in a car for an extended period actually requires careful food planning. First, you must deal with superstitions, regular issues, and questions of texture.

Somehow, I have convinced myself that ever road trip needs some variety of cranberry juice, and reese's peanut butter cups. The candy is the perfect blend of sugar and protien to sustain energy, the juice a tart complement and more hydrating than soda. If you freeze the candy in advance, so much the better - no melty chocolate fingers! That takes care of me. Sarcasmo needs bubbles but too much = many many many stops. He also requires caffeine, so a bottle of Dr. Pepper it is.

Why am I even bothering with food? We both end up eating in the car, preferably crunchy, spicy or starchy, with occasional sweet. If I left it up to him, we would end up with 40 dollars worth of complete crap. That's what happened the last time he went to the store. I'm still trying to rid the house of those Twisted Hot Wings Cheeze-Its.

So I'm going to toast up some walnuts and season them. I'll bag up the rest of the cheeze-its and hope he eats them all. Crunchy veggie goat cheese mini sandwiches. The peanut butter cups are in the freezer.

And yes, we always still have food when we get there. But in Taylorville, that may be ok.

--adoxograph

First order of business is burning a music CD. Why you ask? Because my darling sweetie is currently obsessed with, "swedish progressive death metal that consists solely of songs in the ten to twenty minute range".

It worries me that I know exactly what this is.

Yes, you definitely need to burn a CD: Maybe you can split the difference with some experimental german girl band? I'm thinking Chicks on Speed...

First order of business is burning a music CD.  Why you ask?  Because my darling sweetie is currently obsessed with, "swedish progressive death metal that consists solely of songs in the ten to twenty minute range".

It worries me that I know exactly what this is.

Yes, you definitely need to burn a CD: Maybe you can split the difference with some experimental german girl band? I'm thinking Chicks on Speed...

Or how about Italian symphonic metal? Rhapsody is great for road-trips....

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide