• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yet another dining website for the Southeast

A little more than a year ago, Holly Moore introduced eGulleteers to this website on dining in the southeast:

(the thread)

DixieDining.com

Although it is a year later, dixiedining.com has added to and broadened their website considerably. With that in mind, as well as the growing interest in our own Southeastern Forum, might I suggest that you give it a look?

Enjoy your dining explorations and do give us some of your own input on the site.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I enjoy Dixie Dining and use it as a resource. The only problem I have w/ it is that they tend to add suggestions to their list w/o reviewing the place and occasionally you do wind up w/ a "stinker". That being said, many of the places they mention do include reviews and many of those reviews are pretty thorough. I also like to use it either to get ideas about restaurants in a specific area or as a confirmation of a place I found by different means.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

I hadn't looked at their site in probably a year or more. It still has a long way to go before I can make much use of it. The lack of information on the various restaurants and festivals makes the site of modest value. I applaud their attempt to list the various food related festivals throughout the southeast. That is something I have been looking for. Unfortunately, they provide little in the way of contact information - and no dates beyond the month. Third Saturday in June would be very helpful and wouldn't have to be changed annually.

Who provides their reviews when they have them? Maybe I just didn't look far enough. To be a helpful site, there should be a way to provide update information. It may be overwhelming to open up to all of the potential input that the web can provide, but it also seems vital to their viability/survival.

I just did a quick review of the listings for Arkansas, and James at the Mill was not listed, too bad, the best food I have had in the whole state. Also, it listed War Eagle Mills, great product but terrible restaurant. I love their grits, but do not even recommend the third floor dining room. And there was nothing for Fayetteville that worked. So I will not be using the site for much.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Thank you all for your objective and honest reviews of this site! I really just wanted to bring it up to public view once again to elicit feedback and general impressions. I appreciate your honesty! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"