• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The beauty, the rapture

NulloModo

I simply have to share this.

Upon waking this morning I felt a hunger, and decided to search recipegullet for something tasty to make. I came upon this recipe for tomatoes and feta: http://recipes.egullet.com/recipes/r564.html

Well, this recipe struck a chord with me, so I dug into my pantry to see if I had what it would take to make it. I had the basics more of less, plum tomatoes instead of cherry, lots of italian cheeses, but no feta, eggs were plentiful, as was EVOO, and there was some prosciutto and garlic staring at my face that simply had to be used.

Tomatoes were laced with EVOO, fresh cracked black pepper, and salt, and set under the broiler to char a bit. Upon pulling them out they were bubbly and simply marvelous in aroma.

Next some fresh chopped garlic was thrown overtop, along with three or four slices of chopped prosciutto. Heat was turned down at this point, and some basil leaves thrown on top.

After the edges of the prosciutto had crisped a large fresh egg was cracked over top and the lot went back under the broiler until the egg had just set, at which point some mozerella, parmesan, and asagio were grated on top, and it was set under the broiler once more until the cheese had gooey-fied.

A bit more fresh cracked pepper on top and this was ready for consumption, total time, under half an hour. The flavors were pure and strong, wonderful blend, and it just brought a smile to my face after every bite, all for something so simple and so basic.

Perhaps it is my hangover-riddled mind, but I believe that breakfast is a meal we too often overlook. Please share your own simple but breathtaking (even if only to you) breakfasts so that we can all begin our mornings with a smile.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Perhaps it is my hangover-riddled mind, but I believe that breakfast is a meal we too often overlook. Please share your own simple but breathtaking (even if only to you) breakfasts so that we can all begin our mornings with a smile.

hey, maybe it's *my* hangover-riddled mind. :laugh:

my breakfast joy is modified eggs benny: toasted crispy baguette, bacon, poached eggs, and hollandaise that i doctor with lime juice instead of lemon, and a generous pinch of Hungarian smoked paprika. it's bliss...

in winter, it's waffles with some buckwheat flour, thick yogurt, and smoked salmon. this is also bliss... :smile:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Heh-heh...simple, yet too damn good: Two eggs over easy on top of toast.

Also, there is a lot to be said for a bowl of Frosted Flakes with ice-cold milk. I don't care what anyone says, I frickin love sugary cereals.

ak

ok this is like my best breakfast...unfortunately not one I had this morning though this morning wasn;t bad.

Anyway the key is that it has to be eaten with one hand so you can do Sunday NYTimes crossword

Berries or melon or both or mango fruit with a wee bit of sugar if needed and a teensy bit chiffonade mint if avail

Either crispy bacon or a yummy sausage (apple chicken or somesuch) or slice proscuitto or smoked salmon

cheese: Goat cheese or fontina or gouda (don't do raw milk at breakfast, too rich)

Bread product: toasted whole grain, bialy , bagel or fresh baguette untoasted

sliced tomato if in season

fresh butter & jam

you pick at all the bits and try them with different combinations, simple yummy, hardly any clean up

Big mug earl grey tea with sugar

a canelle (bought not made)

another is:

oranges

warmed lavash

Labneh

fresh z'ataar (sumac, sesame seeds, thyme, sea salt & cumin)

medium boiled eggs

coffee with cardamom

Eggs:

eggs scrambled with chive cream cheese, rye toast

or elegant

eggs scrambled the long way (over double boiler w. lots fresh butter) chopped chives

dollop eggs in middle of slice of proscuitto wrap proscuitto around eggs, flash in broiler, serve with warmed country bread and decadent jam

then there are popeye eggs

Branola bread with a hole poked in the middle, heat salted fresh butter in a pan, put two slices of bread in the pan, crack an egg carefully over each of the holes spooning some hot butter over the yolk, flip when botton is toasty brown and cook till yolk is barely set.

eat with Big glass of OJ and a hot chocolate.

or fruit laden pancakes with plain yogurt & maple syrup, sausages.

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

Huevos Rancheros. The permutations range from the basic warmed flour tortilla with two over-easies, some grated cheddar and a spoonful of bottled salsa to the Sunday morning blowout with black beans, homemade pico de gallo, sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro. Anything in between counts, too. Sometimes it has to have a corn tortilla. Lots of strong coffee. Problem is, this kind of indulgence negates the possibility of a slothful Sunday on the couch. All that food necessitates a good long bike ride or, in winter, a long snow-shoe or XC ski.

then there are popeye eggs

Branola bread with a hole poked in the middle, heat salted fresh butter in a pan, put two slices of bread in the pan, crack an egg carefully over each of the holes spooning some hot butter over the yolk, flip when botton is toasty brown and cook till yolk is barely set.

a top hat!

my grandmother used to make that for me....eerily - with branola - since it's what my mom always used to buy. i can say with confidence that it was the only thing my grandmother didn't boil. the crisp little "top" dipped into the egg was my favorite part.

it's hard to beat the delight of two barely over medium, lacey around the edges eggs with toast. preferably rye, well toasted and thickly buttered with salted butter (or with a sprinkle of salt). you have that first bite of toast as the eggs are just finishing and again marvel at how delicious toast is.

if i'm out - the eggs will also require hash browns, crisp. at home - the simple egg on toast is great.

edited to add - i wouldn't kick a plate of huevos rancheros out of bed...especially when hungover. only with corn tortillas though.

Edited by reesek (log)

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Hmmm... there used to be this little mexican place around here that did a huevos rancheros burrito. That thing was heaven... huge flour tortilla cooked nice and soft, stuffed with beans, flavorful rice, a couple fried eggs, some fresh salsa they made, and who knows what else....

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

My favorite Sunday breakfasts have often looked similar:

Go to farm market, pick up baguette, eggs, and whatever veg looks good.

Slice baguette. Poach eggs. Cook vegetable. Butter baguette, top with veg and egg. Add scrape of black pepper. Consume with coffee. Repeat.

Adding pork products...any pork products...takes it over the top.

wow! everything mentioned sounds fantastic ... but wanted to add some of my favourites too?

- A full english breakfast : many of the components have already well considered here, but you can't forget crispy black pudding, grilled mushrooms to go with the eggs, bacon, sausages and beans. And you must have Heinz tomato ketchup. And a vat of tea to sluice it all down.

- porridge. No really. I live in teh north of england and in the depths of winter, I really like that warm stone like feeling in my stomach. And it keeps me full all morning which stops me snacking on junk food.

- smoked salmon scrambled eggs - on buttered toast or bagel. Sometimes I chuck in halved cherry tomatoes for colour and a bit of fresh tartness to counteract the richness.

- homemade smoothies - fantastic for when I'm dashing around. Basic one is a small tub of biolive yoghurt, frozen berries and then banana or mango to thicken, milk or orange juice to dilute, and honey or maple syrup to sweeten.

must stop now before I dribble inappropriately on the keyboard!

Here are some of my favorites:

-Lebanese breakfast pies. These are the flat pizza-like breads topped with za’atar (sumac/thyme/oregano/salt) and olive oil, melting cheese, or spicy meat paste. I bake them at home almost every Sunday on the baking stone in the oven. The za’atar ones are my favorites, the smell of them baking alone is worth the trouble and I usually spread some labne on them along with olives, tomatoes and mint, then wrap the whole thing like a burrito!! Pure majic with a nice hot cup of sweet mint tea. My wife loves the cheese topped ones.

- French toast made with Challah bread or Brioche. Topped with Strawberries, crème fraiche and pure maple syrup.

- A simple omelet with a little herbs and maybe some mushrooms. I love this one with some homemade baguettes.

- Homemade wheat toast with a collection of jams and preserves (strawberry, fig, apricot, Seville orange) and sweet butter.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I love breakfast... Preferably prepared for me by someone else. :wink:

Eggs Sardou at Brennan's listening to a good jazz quartet.

Any breakfast buffet at an upscale hotel in Mexico with chilequiles, stand up refried beans, really hot salsa, jalepenos en escabeche, eggs over easy, fresh white cheese.

Eggs benedict with a side of crispy grated potato hash browns. Don't hold the onions. And the hollandaise has to be tart with fresh lemon.

You can add a crispy round of corned beef hash to anything.

OH... Let us not forget a big fluffy biscuit drowning in white gravy with a crisp patty of sausage, that has sacrificed itself to make the gravy, on the side.

I am not usually into sweet breakfast but occasionally a big fat slice of pain perdue is really good. First you have to have the New Orleans french bread. Don't forget the nutmeg.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

One of my all time breakfast faves is a Turkish breakfast. Or at least the kind of breakfast I was typically served when I was there. Invariably I'd get this tray which was sub-divided into indented little sections to hold: a very fresh hard boiled egg (the chicken that laid it was probably the same one running in circles around my table), a few nutty tasting black olives, a little tomato, cucumber, and feta salad, and some delicious thick yogurt with honey. :wub: Oh yeah, don't forget the turkish coffee and a roll-your-own cig to top it off.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I second the huevos rancheros. More simple favorites of mine include: Eggy in the hole, french toast with warm syrup and p-nut butter and a huge glass of ice cold milk.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

When we were newlyweds my husband used to make me the most wonderful fried egg sandwiches. White bread toast, lots of butter, fried egg (over hardish), ham or sausage and cheddar. Lots of salt and fresh pepper. yum.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Eggs Sardou at Brennan's listening to a good jazz quartet.

Brennan's Eggs Hussarde accompanied by Oyster Soup and plenty of hot cofee with chicory, eaten at leisure in the courtyard. Finish with Bananas Foster. Doesn't get any better.

Martinis don't come from vodka and bacon don't come from turkeys!