• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best book with details on rum production?

Mickeman

Looking for good book(s) of very detailed descriptions on rum production.

The book should describe production of both industrial and agricultural rum as well as describe the difference in production processes for different distilleries. Detailed descriptions of different sugarcane types and their characteristics are also appreciated.

For example:

Detailed descriptions for each distillery on:

Sugarcane type(s) used.

Water source.

Type of yeast.

Types (size and material) of fermentation vats.

Time and temperatures for the different processes.

Details of the different stills used (Drawings and/or pictures of the stills of the distilleries is appreciated since the form, size and also angel of the pipe influence the characteristics of the new make spirit).

The characteristics of the new make spirit.

Storing process (types of barrels, charring of barrels?, storing facilities, storing temperature and maturation process).

Bottlings (Marriage process? Is it rum with different storage time in a bottling or is it all as old as the label states, Is there color added?

Detailed tasting notes on each bottling.

In other words explain as much as is possible why a specific brand and bottling have the characteristics (color, scent and taste) that it has.

Maybe I need to buy more than one book, but all tips would be greatly appreciated.

The only book that I now have in print is The Complete Guide to Rum and it is the most detailed of the books currently in print. Of course it isn't going to give you all the details of all the rum distilleries it is the most complete book in print today.

There aren't a lot of pictures of stills but there are descriptions of the processes, fermentation times, fermentation tank materials, etc.

And I should add that I have personally visited almost all of distilleries discussed in this book and am the only rum author that has spent more than a few weeks touring distilleries and the only author that has visited all of the distilleries that make rhum agricole in the French West Indies. But don't take my word for it, look for more comments from this forum.

When you are looking at books, as much as we all want a book tailored to the specific information we are looking for we have to consider that books are commercial property that cost a lot of money to research, produce, print and distribute. Publishers are looking for more of a middle of the road approach as opposed to a college text that describes each distillery and rum produced.

And then consider that much as what is done at the distilleries is not protected by the distillers as their trade secrets. My first two books were self published because I refused to cut many of the details and replace them with pictures. Many distillers are also reluctant to have pictures of their stills show up in books, for trade reasons.

So if you think you are being short changed by books, go online and take a look at how much it would cost you to visit just a handful of distilleries and don't forget the cost of hotels, food and local travel. Many publishers accept sponsorship from a few distillers and the books end up being advertisements for a few distillers and the rest are simply mentioned without any real details. And in most cases the sponsors refuse to allow the publisher to print anything they don't want to read about the competition.

But if that isn't enough I can tell you from experience that rarely will a distiller tell you the whole story on your first visit, these are after all, commercial enterprises that are very much aware of the competition and if they divulge their secrets to you they are no longer secrets. After spending ten years visiting distillers I'm still learning. A lot of authors are using the internet to gather information and if you see pictures in books that are also on websites and ads you probably aren't getting the whole story.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.