• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Solo dinner at bar recommendations?

laniloa

OK- My birthday is typically memorial day weekend and friends are out of town. I've gotten into the habit of having a few low key outings with friends all that week rather then a big party. This year I'm doing the same but wanted to treat myself to dinner by myself as well. I'm thinking dining solo at the bar of a restaurant is the way to go. I've already thought of Palena. Where else should I consider?

My guess is that most any restaurant with a bar will accomodate a patron with food service at the bar. I've eaten at the bar at Ten Penh, Restaurnt Eve (Old Town), Sam & Harrys, Oceanaire. I thnk I recall a mention that even Citronelle will serve you food at the bar. However, I would not exepct the service to match what you would get at a table, but the food will be the same.

A friend ate dinner alone at the bar at Cashion's not long ago and was lucky enough to end up dining with Ann herself.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

FIREFLY

The bar can get a little overcrowded later on, but I've seen several bar diners enjoying meals there.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I'm going to dinner at Firefly on Thursday with a new transplant to DC. Part of my effort to reassure him that he hasn't given up all culinary hope after moving from San Francisco (I'm sending him and his fiance to Nectar).

Nectar and Cashion's are now high on my list. Both excellent suggestions. I haven't been to Nectar in a while (tried to bring friends there for a pre-theater dinner on Sunday but didn't try to get reservations early enough). I've never dined solo at Cashion's.

NECTAR

Or maybe Le Paradou for boudin blanc and more? Sure it may be pricey, but it's your birthday! Haven't even been, but it's on my own birthday-treat-myself list along with a massage at the Four Seasons.

Haven't even been, but it's on my own birthday-treat-myself list along with a massage at the Four Seasons.

Great minds think alike -- I'm going for a massage on Saturday with Bridget at Serenity in Tenley. She's magic even if the spa doesn't have quite the ambiance of the Four Seasons.

having chased away more time at cashion's bar than a narcissistic garrulous amphetamine addict at a mirror, i urge urge urge you to treat yourself there. palena's cafe will undoubtedly delight with delectables, as would the flagship jaleo. service from the barstaff at those three will not disappoint.

most unfortunately i cannot comment on the aforementioned establishments ive not experienced, i.e. nectar, citronelle, le paradou and firefly. general consensus here and elsewhere (no not a certain website with chomping chewing canines) seems to regard those most favourably.

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

As a member of the birthday on a holiday club, I feel your pain.

My vote is for the Palena idea 'cause then you can get a manicure with your massage and still eat really well.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

_thanksgiving day_.

'nuff said.

except for the awful single bottle of zinfandel I had to split with five members of the family last year on my birthday 'cuz we don't order more than one bottle of wine with grandpa there, followed by my mother's realization that, it being thanksgiving and all, she'd FORGOTTEN THE BIRTHDAY CAKE.

go to palena. tell 'em it's your birthday. & let us know if you want company after all.

Pain? I always look at it as a free day off that just happens to coincide with my birthday. Sure, some stuff's closed, but the whole not-having-to-go-to-work thing is a big plus. :laugh:

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Yeah, but you miss the super sugary birthday cake that my office always gets for people. Nothing like seeing your boss bounce off the walls on a sugar rush.

Pain? I always look at it as a free day off that just happens to coincide with my birthday. Sure, some stuff's closed, but the whole not-having-to-go-to-work thing is a big plus. :laugh:

I love the fact that my b-day is Valentine's Day so much it's part of my handle. But trying to celebrate that night is a bitch. This year I found the perfect activity: a former student's Bar Mitzvah. Two good friends (fellow teachers) were there, we ate and drank for free on a parent who really owed us and we were not surrounded by couples dripping with romance :biggrin:

go to palena. tell 'em it's your birthday. & let us know if you want company after all.

I'll take any excuse to go to Palena and a b-day is one of the best of all. Specially because mine is 8 1/2 months away :wink:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Reporting in:

Since I was stuck with a pile of reading for work, I decided to go to Palena. I'm never patient enough to wait for the roast chicken and figured this would be the perfect opportunity.

I nibbed on the fries while I waited and enjoyed a very nice glass of pinot blanc recommended by Derek (who carded me on the day before my 32nd birthday -- talk about cutting through any feeling of getting older). The fries and dauphine potatos were fabulous -- well done, well seasoned. The batter on the onion rings was light and crispy but not very flavorful and the onion was only faintly cooked -- I prefer well done crispy. But the lemons! What a great contrast. Sour and sweet and bursting through the inevitable grease that coats your mouth when snacking on so much fried stuff.

The chicken was the best roast chicken I've ever had (sorry mom). The skin was dark and crispy but the meat was sooooo juicy. Lightly seasoned it was great. I couldn't help but wonder why more people can't make something so seemingly simple this well.

For dessert, chocolate toffee torte. Rich without cloying sweetness and a light vanilla creme sauce.

Their was one small blemish (a frayed napkin) and one medium one -- the tea service for dessert. I appreciate a selection of teas. I choose a verbena mint that has me eager for Saturday's Courthouse farmers' market and the herb lady. BUT. Derek poured the water from the little pot into my cup without the teabag in it. For a good cup of tea you have to pour the water over the bag (actually, for a good cup of tea you need loose tea but I don't expect that in restaurants). And there was still more water in the teapot which would mean two lackluster steeps. So, I put the teabag in the pot and pour the water from the cup back in (splashing a little) and let it steep.

Don't let this rant fool you -- fantastic meal and I'm glad I went. This is just a pet peeve of mine. Kind of like the warm red wine thing.