• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

China 46

Jason Perlow

I don't think it is likely I will end up at C46's Sunday brunch with any regularity in the future simply because Rachel now works every Sunday and I am frequently travelling that day of the week. The fact that I just got a second car may improve the situation a bit, but I'm not likely to go eat there on my lonesome.

That being said, I do want to return for dinner sometime soon.

Luciano also has a distinctive tan, whereas, I burn.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Well, that's not the photo I wanted to post. It's the one linked right below, which I was unable to grab by itself. And I meant to say in response to Jason's comment "Unfortunately, I'm not easily disguisable" that if Rachel were willing to go in on it with you, I think with a little black shoepolish for your hair you could fool them easily.

Jason and Rachel in Disguise?

And I wasn't really proposing cloak and dagger tactics, I just meant that, very unfortunately, there's been a lot of talk upthread about standards slipping here, which Jason contributed to as well, and then said that he wanted to go again and check it out for dinner, and after that admitted "it would be virtually impossible for me or Steven to have a bad meal at C46."

I do think it would be a very interesting test of a lot of theories if Jason were to go back for a dinner. If he said that dinner was as good as ever and that his friends (who fell out of love with the place) were wrong, I for one would absolutely believe him. And if he said that the food was not as good as it used to be, it would certainly prove that there really is nothing a restaurant can do at the last minute - and I would think that in the case of a place like this that's usually not crowded, there would be quite a bit they could do.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Also, to say that Cecil and his wife are not nice enough was a shocker to me. - Hank -

Hank, I did not say that at all if you read what I wrote. I said something to the effect that they are nice - they are VERY nice. But my point was that they are NOT nice enough to overcome the lack of quality. In plain english they could be G-D but if the food is not good even G-D could not bring me their in a caravan!

Most people here by now will notice my posts are far from angry or malicious, so I am sorry if you mis-understood.

However that being said... I did have a FANTASTIC dinner tonight at The Black Forest Inn in Stanhope (exit 25 on Rt 80)

it's located on 206 and the food was out of this world good. I had Duck with a cherry sauce reduction, hubby had a game dish of Quail, Venison and Bunny-Rabbit (grin) our guests had the seared scallops and a veal schnitzel dish of some sort. Everyone said it was the best food they had in a while. On Friday we had gone to The Old '76 house in Tappan and I had duck too, (I'm on a duck craze sorry... heh) and the two can not be compared but each was great in it's own way but if I was FORCED to say... ahem - sorry to the owner of '76 but The Black Forest Inn won hands down! I loved the appetizers more at '76 but both places had superb quality food and all courses were great.

Back on track - China 46 is a place we have gone to about half a dozen times and the first time was about 15 months ago and each time the quality declines a step... I think my local "china pavilion" (sic?) in Westwood can do better! Again, the owners are great folks but they'd have to pay for my meal for me to return again soon. Sorry.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

• 1 month later...

It appears that at least in regards to China 46's dinner service, my fears were unfounded.

It's been a number of months since we've had dinner at China 46 -- I definitely intend to return soon. Everything tonight was excellent, as it should be. Tonight the restaurant was about half full, which for China 46, is a decent regular night.

We had 3 dishes, all from the specials menu on the board -- A Egg Dumpling with Cellophane Noodle soup, which was bokchoy heavy but still very good, excellent broth and very comforting.

"Yellow Birds" was yuba skin wrapped around vegetables, in a brown sauce with seafood (small shrimps and scallop peices) and mushroms. I happen to be a big fan of yuba to begin with, but this was a nice dish and the gravy wasn't overpowering.

We also had a new type of Jiaozi tonight, pork with celery. The celery taste was prevalent but not overpowering, and it worked quite well to smooth out the juices from the pork. I liked it.

We were also given some of the lamb dumplings, which are also excellent.

I'm looking forward to coming up with the menu for this year's Chinese New Year celebration -- the Year of the Dog is only 3 months away.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

• 1 month later...

Some new dishes tried at C46 last night:

gallery_2_785_52833.jpg

Fava Beans with Scallion (cold appetizer)

gallery_2_785_7488.jpg

Exotic Green with Pork and Tofu Soup (very good)

gallery_2_785_47843.jpg

A variation on Shanghai Shrimp, I think it was called steamed shrimp and garlic.

gallery_2_785_54475.jpg

Pan Fried Noodles With Pork

We'll be posting our initial proposed menu for the Year of the Dog celebration shortly. Right now, its looking like the weekend of January 28/29.

so there's no confusion, these dishes have been pretty much regularly available for a while. all very good. consistently. C46 has remained tops in my estimation, and in the estimation of many whose opinions i value, even during the time that they apparently fell out of favor with some.

hopefully the interest in this dinner at C46 goes over better than the planned pig roast at bobolink! they could use the business and it's still super!

edited for clarity.

Edited by tommy (log)

Yes, but they are on the paper board menu near the entrance rather than the printed menu. We must not have noticed them until now. Tommy, do you eat the peel on the fava beans or do you peel as you go? Jason and I were of differing opinions on this.

Oh, and the Chinese New Year dinner will be on Sunday, January 29, 2006 starting at 5 PM. We are working on the menu and pricing and will announce shortly in a separate thread for RSVPing.

Yes, but they are on the paper board menu near the entrance rather than the printed menu. We must not have noticed them until now. Tommy, do you eat the peel on the fava beans or do you peel as you go? Jason and I were of differing opinions on this.

Oh, and the Chinese New Year dinner will be on Sunday, January 29, 2006 starting at 5 PM. We are working on the menu and pricing and will announce shortly in a separate thread for RSVPing.

Fava beans are usually eaten peeled.

I have had to stay away from Chinese restaurants and restaurants in general because of some elevated blood numbers. (drug reaction -- not food) BUT they are coming down and I am pulling at the bit. I miss China 46 SO much! I can hardly wait for January!!

Some China 46 brunch photos:

gallery_2_785_33380.jpg

The Brunch Menu -- These are included in the price with the regular steam table stuff, but you must order them a la carte.

gallery_2_785_84955.jpg

Bean Curd Skin and Cilantro with sesame oil

gallery_2_785_4055.jpg

Crabs

gallery_2_785_37427.jpg

Salt and Pepper Shrimp, Pan Fried Juicy Buns, Scallion Pancake

gallery_2_785_57028.jpg

Sesame Scallion Bread

Anyone happen to know if C46 will be open and serving their brunch on Sunday, January 1st?

Yes, I know, I can call tomorrow and ask, but I'm impatient!

P.S. See that line crossed out on their Brunch menu? That was my fave - the little shrimp dumplings. wah!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't returned to China 46 in a few months because two of my friends who were regulars there -- who you have dined with as well, Andy and Lin, will no longer eat there because the quality has declined considerably and they felt the food got greasier.

We went to C46 on New Years Day. I met relatives there. I had raved about the place and was a little bit disappointed with some dishes.

We started with wonton soup - which I have had before and it was amazing. This time it tasted quite ordinary.

The first item we ordered off the menu was shrimp toast and it was so greasy you had to squeeze it out before trying to eat it. Seriously!

The rest of the items off the menu were good. We got a number of different dumplings.

At the buffet there was salt and pepper shrimp (one of my faves) and crab which was kind of a mess to eat, so I didn't try much. I think my favorite thing was the fried rice cakes. Crispy and delicious! They ran out of those and when I asked if they'd be putting more out, they brought us a plate of them - but that batch wasn't as crispy and good. :sad: Oh, I ate 5 of them anyhow. :raz:

So it was a mixed bag. I think my cousins had a nice time, but none of us were blown away. I would go back just to get the little juicy buns, and the items I already mentioned that I enjoy. The price is right.

No more shrimp toast though!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

• 3 weeks later...

We have become somewhat regulars here..going a couple times a month or so. The last time we went I was disappointed by something that is rather small, but we found annoying. Tom and I always order brown rice with our meals. The serving is unusually small, and we always get one extra bowl each. This time they charged us for rice. I asked why, and he tried to explain how he legitimizes charging for a bowl of rice..I didn't listen in all honesty...in my mind, there is no good explanation for charging for a small bowl of rice, we all know what rice costs. Come on now...the owner sees us in there all the time. We bring friends often. Have a little respect for those who patronize your restaurant on a regular basis. Aside from the fact that we have found the food to be a little greasier as of late, we are now turned off by a very small but irksome fee. We will try Sesame tonight.

That is why we haven't been back in a while... like the last poster said the quality wasn't there. I was considering the EG event but if that's the whole menu I'm not overly impressed since I dislike squid, octopus, soft-shelled crab, anything in a shell such as a clam, oyster, etc. If there was a different menu I'd definitely consider going or if we could order off menu or some other alternative.

Are they having anything special going on there for the Chinese New Year in case I change my mind or decide to go to the EG and THAT event? Anyone know? Thanks.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

We have become somewhat regulars here..going a couple times a month or so.  The last time we went I was disappointed by something that is rather small, but we found annoying.  Tom and I always order brown rice with our meals.  The serving is unusually small, and we always get one extra bowl each.  This time they charged us for rice.  I asked why, and he tried to explain how he legitimizes charging for a bowl of rice..I didn't listen in all honesty...in my mind, there is no good explanation for charging for a small bowl of rice, we all know what rice costs.  Come on now...the owner sees us in there all the time.  We bring friends often.  Have a little respect for those who patronize your restaurant on a regular basis.  Aside from the fact that we have found the food to be a little greasier as of late, we are now turned off by a very small but irksome fee.  We will try Sesame tonight.

For the most part, Shanghainese cuisine does not involve eating a lot of rice, particularly with banquet style dishes. It's not that kind of restaurant.

like the last poster said the quality wasn't there

Can you clarify that? How was the quality not there? That sounds like a serious generalization.

I'm not overly impressed since I dislike squid, octopus, soft-shelled crab, anything in a shell such as a clam, oyster

You've pretty much eliminated a large swath of what the restaurant specializes in. A lot of people are impressed by the restaurant because of their skillful execution of those dishes which use seafood.

If you impose traditional metrics on China 46 based on eating at Cantonese or American Chinese restaurants, you're going to come up disappointed. China 46 is producing authentic Shanghainese food, which is totally different from the kind of Chinese food most people are used to.

Are they having anything special going on there for the Chinese New Year in case I change my mind or decide to go to the EG and THAT event? Anyone know?  Thanks.

Yes, for example, the Lion Dancers are there for the whole restaurant, not just us. And, C46 has a special Chinese New Year menu available, that is not the same as our menu. I believe you can order off the regular menu as well. In the past, friends with small children (they are welcome, but most parents haven't wanted to impose their kids on a bunch of "strangers") or eG members with special diets have chosen to come the night of the event, but sit at their own table and order their own food. This way, you can say hi, meet some people, etc., but have control over your own menu. It's very hard to create a banquet menu for a large group that will please everyone. The Lion Dancers perform between 7 and 8 PM, so I'd recommend making your reservation for around 6:30, if you're not planning a 3 hour banquet!

What has become an annual Chinese New Year dinner at China 46 is now also a fundraiser for The eGullet Society. So we hope you choose to make a donation, even if you don't plan on attending the official event. :smile:Click here for info on where a lot of the money we raise goes.

For the most part, Shanghainese cuisine does not involve eating a lot of rice, particularly with banquet style dishes. It's not that kind of restaurant.

Not the point at all.

Couldn't agree more, jwjojo. We had a similar issue at Thai Thai in Stirling.

Jason, I know you love C46, but I find it hard to believe that you're defending them on this point. C46 serves rice. Regardless of whether or not that's the authentic way to eat Shanghainese cuisine, I think it's fair to say that we all expect rice in Chinese restaurants in this country (although brown rice is an exception). Thai food isn't traditionally eaten with chopsticks, but all Thai restaurants that I've been to have them...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I've been to a number of high-end authentic regional-style Chinese restaurants that charge for rice -- particularly brown rice, since its not popular among their core customer base, Chinese.

I think it's fair to say that we all expect rice in Chinese restaurants in this country

What is the "we" in that statement? Americans? China 46 is not geared toward American customers, for the most part.

I've been to a number of high-end authentic regional-style Chinese restaurants that charge for rice -- particularly brown rice, since its not popular among their core customer base, Chinese.

Completely agree there, which is why I mentioned brown rice being an exception in my prior post.

What is the "we" in that statement? Americans? China 46 is not geared toward American customers, for the most part.

It's funny...I had originally written something like "I think it's fair to say that most Americans expect rice" but I changed it. Yes, Jason. WE. As in Americans. C46 may not be geared toward American customers, but they DO offer rice. Do they only want to serve Chinese customers in their restaurant? Of course not.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Do they only want to serve Chinese customers in their restaurant? Of course not.

No, but I think its safe to say that Americans only represent a very small portion of their clientele.

Oh heck, they served us roasted turkey last time we went :blink:

It was good

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association