• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What a DUMP!

Rich Pawlak

I scoured and asked around for some decent location for a quality beer while in Miami Beach last week, and the resounding recommendation was The Abbey Brewing Co., at 16th St. just below Alton Rd. I was also advised not to let the appearance deter me.

What a great place. Cozy as a sitting room, knotty pine and old wood, just 4 booths and about a dozen barstools,friendly as all hell, with some terrific beers on tap, 4 of their own (brewed in Melbourne, FL, their IPA and Bock were sensational) and many guest taps, including the only handpump in South Florida, serving up Old Thumper.

i7164.jpg

The inauspicious exterior.

i7165.jpg

The tap selection, including 3 of their own, some Germans and Belgians

i7166.jpg

Lovely stained glass behind the bar

i7167.jpg

Beer bric-a-brac

i7168.jpg

i7169.jpg

i7170.jpg

The beer menu, best as I could photograph it, it was physically pretty large

i7171.jpg

Old Thumper, and it was!

i7172.jpg

Clever wood carving above the taps

They also had a small food menu, consisting of pizza, wurst, and homemade empanadas, which were quite good. I only wish I could have spent more time here; it was so un-Florida, so relaxed and sure of itself. And the best part: it's open from 11AM-5AM. Bartender said their busiest time is between 4-5AM.

A fabulous dump.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Is this related to the brewpub in Melbourne? The name escapes me right now... Jake and somebody's, or something like that.

And, more importantly... you were in our beautiful sunshine state and did not call me to arrange a visit??? :wink:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.