• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions for a really nice Sat. lunch in SEA

My best friend and I are taking her mom out to lunch when she visits Seattle at the end of this month. We want to take her some place where we can have a long leisurely lunch, pretty surrounding, a real ladies afternoon. She loves all things crab so if that is on the menu then all the better. Someplace in Seattle, maybe a view but not mandatory.

I'm mainly a dinner girl.... and always looking for input..... Georgian Room? Waterfront?? help please!!

Thanks! :biggrin:

I suggest Etta's, Place Pigalle, Maximilien, or Matt's in the Market (though unlikely to have crab and not as leisurely as you might like.) Someone will suggest Elliott's or Bell Street Diner. Cafe Campagne?

Edited by tsquare (log)

My suggestion would be Maximilien in the Pike Place Market. My favorite 'view restaurant' in town and an excellent lunch/brunch menu. It's also nice to be able to browse the Market either before or after lunch.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Well, being an authority on all things Really Nice!™ :laugh: I would say err, umm, uhh... Salty's on Alki for the view or The Georgian Room for the "ladies who lunch" approach.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Thanks so much everyone, great suggestions!!!

The winner in this 'not contest' is Maximilien. We haven't been there, there is crab on the menu, great view and a trip thru the market after is always fun!

And now I have lots of good ideas for more lunches :)

Thanks so much everyone, great suggestions!!!

The winner in this 'not contest' is Maximilien.

Damn, I was going to say that!

:laugh:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

The winner in this 'not contest' is Maximilien. We haven't been there, there is crab on the menu, great view and a trip thru the market after is always fun!

How can I be the man, when you the.....wait a second....I AM the MAN!

Hope you enjoy it....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to thank you again for the suggestion of Maximilien for lunch. We had a fabulous time. Our waiter was great and was from the Savoie region of France so made the meal even more fun.

We started out by sharing the escargot in garlic butter- very good. With great bread to go along with it for dipping.

Next I had the mussels marinere which were outstanding. They also gave me soooo much! Friend had her favorite- Croque Madame with frites (fantastic!) and mom had the omlet special- crab and wild mushrooms. The omelet was huge and packed with really large sections of crab. Couldn't have asked for more.

A bottle of Poilley Fuse (I never know how to spell that, sorry!), cheese plate for dessert and glasses of Cotes du Rhone to finish it off.

Will absolutely be eating at Maximilien again!!

I had the omelet at Maximilien for lunch recently. It was so awesome.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.