• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday gifts . . .

Florida Jim

A relaxed and informal day; time spent with my daughter; time spent with my family and friends; calls from absent family and friends; a massage; some new music to listen to; my choice of food to eat; my choice of wine to drink; a lot of laughter; time playing with my dogs; a warm and crystal clear day; a nap; a ballgame on TV; egg custard for dessert; espresso; the smell of my wife’s hair; a very happy birthday, indeed!

Dinner:

With sushi:

2000 La Suite Gramonae, Cava Gran Cuvee:

Smells of cracked pepper, apple and tonic water/

A very fine bead with apple flavors and hints of cream soda, extremely dry and crisp, clean and airy/

Long in the mouth with a continuing reprise of apple and tonic water flavors.

Wonderfully dry and complex; not at all like any Cava I have had before. And the length is remarkable. The best food pairing of the night.

About $17, retail; Eric Solomon imports.

With homemade cream of tomato soup:

1996 Roumier, Chambolle-Musigny:

Not impressive; hard and angular with a reticent nose, obvious wood and little Chambolle character. Maybe the 96’s from Roumier will need decades, even the village wines, but I am starting to doubt if this vintage will ever soften. About $42, delivered; imported by Seagram Chateau and Estates.

With grilled sandwiches of olive bread, tomato, mozzarella and Portobello served with Caesar salad:

2001 Texier, Cote-Rotie VV:

Dense, smooth, full of fruit with hints of earth and ash tray; some C-R character, excellent texture and breadth in the mouth and a long finish. Not the structure or depth of some vintages, but utterly delicious wine that went well with the dish. Drinks well now.

About $29, on sale, delivered; imported by Vintner Select.

After dinner:

2002 Coudert, Clos de la Roilette, Cuvee Tardive:

Some face powder in the nose but also lots of red and black fruit, smooth and fullish on the palate with talc like tannins and loads of flavor; very long finish. Always a pleasure.

About $21, delivered; imported by Louis Dressner.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com