• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spring Cabbage

helenjp

You mean you don't like the fake one? I usually use a mirin fake and I'm quite satisfied with it. Anyway, you may become inclined to try the real one once in a while...

As for the last question, you may find the Google eG button located near the top of the page useful. I searched for Asian pickle myself and found no threads directly related to it. I recommend that you do the same; you may find something interesting. Otherwise, it will be a good idea to start a new thread on it.

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

Last night, my wife made light pickles from five cucumbers.

Cut cucumbers in a plastic bag:

i7041.jpg

This morning, the pickles are ready to serve:

i7042.jpg

I like a cabbage and cucumber combination, too.

NOTE: I, for one, prefer this simple, bland taste. But I guess some people may want to add other flavors.

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

• 5 years later...

Spring cabbage is back! I've been getting a head a week from my CSA. This week was red, and I pulled out Marcella Hazan for inspiration, since we were sick of coleslaw. She did not disappoint, with "Smothered cabbage, Venetian Style", from The "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking". The cabbage is cooked slowly in olive oil over about an hour, with some garlic and salt as seasoning. At the end, you pour in a tablespoon of wine vinegar for seasoning. My only twist was to take the cover off at the end of cooking and allow some of the cabbage to crisp up in the olive oil. As good if not better, in my humble opinion, as roast cauliflower. As a side dish, I can't imagine a better use for cabbage.