• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

malt whisky shopping in atlanta

bond

I have someone coming over from Atlanta. Any advice on a whisky store in Atlanta which has a good malt collection?

Am specifically looking for lagavulin, aberlour, ardbeg.

Cheers

the "big three", as we referred to them when I was working in Buckhead, are probably your best bets. Tower Package on Piedmont near where I-85 crosses has a pretty good selection. There is another on Buford Highway north of Atl proper that also has a nice single malt selection but is more than likely a bit out of the way. Green's, again there are several but the one on Buford Highway near the Sidney Marcus/Lenox Rd/Cheshire Bridge intersection is closest to Atl proper, does pretty well w/ single malts. Another option in Buckhead proper, it is just off of W. Paces Ferry west of Peachtree, is Pearson's. They had a decent selection if memory serves but are a bit higher priced than Tower or Green's.

Another option--& it might even be a better option--is Ansley Wine Merchants in the Ansley Mall at the intersection of Piedmont and something near Midtown. It is not far fr/ Piedmont Park. They cater to a serious wine clientele and last time I was there had a very nice single malt selection.

All are listed in the Atl telephone book (& yellow pages) so you can call first and are large enough they should be found pretty easily by any one who has a clue as to their way around Atl. (Most waiters and bartenders will know exactly where they are. It is the nature of the business ":^) )

There are other places & branches of the ones listed in different areas of Atl but those are probably the most convenient to d/t Atl, midtown Atl, & Buckhead--the areas most folks coming to Atl will find themselves.

OH & I forgot! NOTHING--as far as retail package sales including wine & beer--is allowed on Sundays in Georgia so be prepared & make arrangements!

Edited by Lan4Dawg (log)

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.