• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

contemporary pirate cuisine

rai

It seems to me that at least in the public gestalt that exists about Pirates there are two main sub-cultures:

1.) Barbary Coast Pirates

2.) Caribbean Pirates

So depending on WHICH sub-culture you are talking about, the food will differ. One's Mediterranean food and one's "Island" food.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

i think these days the two sub-cultures of pirates must undergo a process of fusion, no?

please send me your mailing addresses where i'll be happy to send you the specially printed napkins with your suggestions, guys.

easy

do you think that pirates would eat a lot of mango? a friend from puert rico sent me an email saying that there are five trees of mango where we are going to land and we should get some recipes to prepare them. i know only batidas cocktail with mango puree... and lots of rum. but maybe there are some other ways to prepare mango besides eating it raw and using for batidas?

It seems to me that at least in the public gestalt that exists about Pirates there are two main sub-cultures:

1.) Barbary Coast Pirates

2.) Caribbean Pirates

So depending on WHICH sub-culture you are talking about, the food will differ.  One's Mediterranean food and one's "Island" food.

You forgot to include the Pittsburgh Pirates which have been known to eat huge sandwiches stuffed with meats and french fries.

slowday

In the late sixties and early seventies Patrick O'Brian wrote 19 novels on British naval life from around 1795 to 1810. One of his books was made into the movie 'Master and Commander'. They are great books with loads of eating and cooking references that may apply to your event. A woman and her daughter (I forget their names) wrote a book called 'Lobscouse and Spotted Dog' which you can pick up on Ebay that recreates these recipes. They were real big on what they called puddings back then, lots of goodies like Soused Hogs face, and such. I bought the book a while ago and it is highly entertaining. There is no doubt these are the dishes many pirates survived on.

In the late sixties and early seventies Patrick O'Brian wrote 19 novels on British naval life from around 1795 to 1810.  One of his books was made into the movie 'Master and Commander'.  They are great books with loads of eating and cooking references that may apply to your event.  A woman and her daughter (I forget their names) wrote a book called 'Lobscouse and Spotted Dog' which you can pick up on Ebay that recreates these recipes.  They were real big on what they called puddings back then, lots of goodies like Soused Hogs face, and such.  I bought the book a while ago and it is highly entertaining.  There is no doubt these are the dishes many pirates survived on.

That's correct, Jay-bob! Her name is Lisa Grossman and you can meet her right here on eGullet!

Cheers,

Squeat