• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Our Thanks to Guy Gateau For a Great Week

We are ending the Q&A today at 6:00PM EDT. Until the next Q&A begins, you may add comments to any of the topics. However, in fairness to Guy Gateau, we need to let him get on with his busy schedule.

The Roundtable and Q&A with Guy has been remarkable. I think Guy would say that the discussion reached levels that even he did not anticipate. Most important, Guy bent over backwards to give eGullet members the benefit of his remarkable life in cuisine. His deep experience and gift for storytelling came through as the various compliments he received during the event confirm.

Guy, our thanks for a great series of discussions. We hope you will visit eGullet again as your time allows, and share your wisdom with us.

I have been so impressed with the level of discussion here that I wish our panel could be sequestered together for a week to explore further their topics of conversation. It was on a level with the recent panel discussions at Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons near Oxford, in which some of the greatest chefs and scholars in the world spent a week exploring the future of gastronomy.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

John, on behalf of the panelists I can write with certainty that we are all honored to be compared in such a way. Thank you so much. I wish to include everyone who followed on. The erudition and the new voices were something I never would have anticipated. This morning I received an e-mail from Guy that simply said "Wow!".

Chef Gateau, you are a great teacher. Thank you for sparing some of your time to teach us about gastronomy and history.

Michael aka "Pan"

Saturday is a busy day for me. I have been to four grocery stores and I am now dealing with the well soaked produce from their "compost" section, but the task has been made much lighter by this delightful week of high intellection and stories from Guy Gateau and eGullet participants. Thank you all very much for this memorable Q&A.

It was an extraordinary discussion. It was great to hear some new voices in the conversation -- welcome, pumpernickel and commander! -- and lots of old friends. Guy's wisdom and his wonderful stories made every day interesting. And we learned how to make carrot purée the right way.

Thanks to Guy and to everyone who participated.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

Thanks to Guy and all the participants of this session. I second John that I would like to see this forum-in-forum continued in some form, because every single post has been substantial and the level of reflection exceptional.

Thanks Jonathan and Robert for your warm welcome. And commander, don't give up fighting those nasty sprayers (I don't come close to that section of the supermarket very often, but bext time I do, I will think of your phrasings... and smile).

Enjoy!

Edited by pumpernickel (log)