• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Places that use local & organic ingredients

Papaya

My sister is graduating from college in a couple weeks, and I'm thinking about taking her out to dinner as a nice graduation present. I wanted to find out what restaurants in Philadelphia consistently use local and/or organic products. I know about the White Dog Cafe (which my sister and I both really like), but I think we might like to try something different for this occasion. (Theoretically we could just make a meal out of Jubilee chocolates - that wouldn't be so bad...)

Any suggestions? I have no idea how many options there are, but something low-key - not too fancy or expensive - would be preferable.

Thanks for your help!

Many more places do this than previously used to in Philly-- Django, Rx, Matyson, Carman' s Country Kitchen, Fork, Sonoma (?).

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

i wouldn't recommend Rx. i had dinner there about two weeks ago and was fairly disappointed with both the food quality and the service. apparently, it used to be a pretty good place, and i had heard good things about it, but i guess it has fallen off somewhat. anyone else have similar thoughts out there? maybe chloe, django or matyson would make better choices. :rolleyes:

the white dog runs a foundation called the fair food project. they publish a guide that features listings of local restaurants that focus on local and organic ingredients. it's an impressive list!

it looks like they are getting ready to publish a new guide. more info can be found here: http://www.buylocalpa.org

allison

The place that immediately came to mind is Citrus in Chestnut hill. Only the freshest, local ingredients, mostly vegetarian menu (dairy OK) but some seafood and chicken choices for variety. It's a BYOB so don't forget to bring your own wine. I don't think they take reservations, either, so get there early! I believe that many dishes are organic as well. Also meets your criteria of not too fancy or expensive.

Citrus

8136 Germantown Ave

215-247-8188

Edited by menton1 (log)

it looks like they are getting ready to publish a new guide. more info can be found here: http://www.buylocalpa.org

allison

Oh wow, Jamaican Jerk Hut is on there. I ate there a couple times a week before I moved away, just so I would be sick of it for a while. That feeling has officially worn off.

Chloe was also one of my favorite back in the day, I hope that is still good?