• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Low Carb Beer

scott123

After about an hour of calculations I was able to reverse engineer an approximate carb count for my favorite beer, Anchor Steam: 15g +/- 1g. No wonder why I love the stuff!

If my daily goal for carb consumption is 30g, then 2 beers is all I get to consume for the day. Obviously, that's not going to happen.

I'm not going anywhere near Michelob Ultra or any light macro swill and Guiness doesn't thrill me all that much. Where else can I turn?

The answer is drink less, drink better.

beerchug.gif

Here are some beer stats from All About Beer Magazine (March, 2004) article "The Low Carb Phenomenon."

Excerpt from “All About Beer” Magazine, March, 2004

12 ounce serving (Carbs, Calories, ABV)

New Belgium Fat Tire (17.3, 165, 5.2%)

Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat (13.6, 150, 4.5%)

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (12, 200, 5.6%)

Guinness Draft (10, 125, 4.0%)

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody

The answer is drink less, drink better.

Exactly what beergirl stated.

You really want to venture to that Michelob Ultra swill? It has little colour and flavour because it is near-beer water! :biggrin:

Besides and truly, it isn't the carbs that are doing you in with the consumption of alcohol. It is what the body does to process alcohol. Actually listing carb information is a bit useless and sort of misleading.

I know after a night of celebratory cheer among friends will cost me that wee extra bit of effort and time at the gym.