• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pics from France

DCMark

In the interests of livening up the board, here are some pictures from my easter trip to France. As those who attended the Sette meet-up know, my wife is French and we go back there as often as we can.

My in-laws live in Grenoble but most of the trip was spent at their country place near Voiron (Isere). We went for a weekend trip to St. Bonnet-le-Froid (lived up to its name with 8 inches of snow on Easter) to celebrate my brother-in-law's birthday.

St. Bonnet is a culinary destination town with a 2 star restaurant and is famous for jambonnet, which is ham creation (not sure of the content) wrapped in string and boiled. Thankfully, its also a mushroom town and in the spring/fall has tons of mushroom outings. Our hotel had mushrooms in every meal which is fine with me!

St. Bonnet:

bon.jpg

Cheese Shop

cheese2.jpg

cheese3.jpg

cheesed.jpg

I meant to take pictures of our meals but generally forgot (too much wine?). I did manage to snap this dessert (the mini milk bottle holds chevre ice cream) and the 'chariot de formage':

dessert.jpg

cheese.jpg

For you Morel hunters out there (Mark!) these were found within an hours time. Went great with pigeon than night.

mor2.jpg

mor3.jpg

mor4.jpg

mor5.jpg

Edited by DCMark (log)

In the interests of livening up the board, here are some pictures from my easter trip to France.

Charming pictures, they livened my day.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

St. Bonnet is a culinary destination town with a 2 star restaurant

Calling the Auberge et Clos des Cimes two stars may be correct, but in name only: this is one of the finest restaurants in all of France, and fully merits a third Michelin star.

This post inspired me to dig out the menu that was offered when I was there in September, 2002. The chef (Régis Marcon) had gotten up at 5 AM and hunted the mushrooms which he prepared for dinner that evening. Nine courses, twelve different species of mushrooms (mousserons, lactaires délicieux, cèpes, two types of chanterelles (cibarius et tubaeformis), oxalis, craterelles, tanaisie, sparassis crépus, pieds de mouton, etc), three very strong stars in my book. A subtle reminder for me to maintain perspective whenever I start raving about a place such as Maestro.

Cheers!

Rocks.

You are a cruel, cruel man.

There is drool all over my keyboard.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

St. Bonnet is a culinary destination town with a 2 star restaurant

Calling the Auberge et Clos des Cimes two stars may be correct, but in name only: this is one of the finest restaurants in all of France, and fully merits a third Michelin star.

This post inspired me to dig out the menu that was offered when I was there in September, 2002. The chef (Régis Marcon) had gotten up at 5 AM and hunted the mushrooms which he prepared for dinner that evening. Nine courses, twelve different species of mushrooms (mousserons, lactaires délicieux, cèpes, two types of chanterelles (cibarius et tubaeformis), oxalis, craterelles, tanaisie, sparassis crépus, pieds de mouton, etc), three very strong stars in my book. A subtle reminder for me to maintain perspective whenever I start raving about a place such as Maestro.

Cheers!

Rocks.

You must mean:

cimes.jpg

FYI: We did not eat there.

Those pictures brought a smile to my face as did Roc's comment. I also live in DC and when I compare the Inn and others to some of the restaurants in France it humbles me. I go to Paris every week (I am A flight attendant with AA) and have made it my mission to try every restaurant I can.

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

Hey! Psst! :cool: Where'd ya find the morels? That must have been so much fun.

Whoooaa that's a lot of cheese on the table at home. What's that big cooked one on the top right?

-Lucy

The Morels? Right behind the house....sike!

The cheese tray is from the Fort du Pre in St. Bonnet, not at home :smile:

Hey!  Psst!  :cool: Where'd ya find the morels? That must have been so much fun. 

Whoooaa that's a lot of cheese on the table at home.  What's that big cooked one on the top right? 

-Lucy

The Morels? Right behind the house....sike!

The cheese tray is from the Fort du Pre in St. Bonnet, not at home :smile:

It's one of the most massive cheese platters I've ever seen in a restaurant. How did you cook the mushrooms? Just saute them in a little butter, whole? Did you wash the mushrooms or just brush them off?

Good luck! This makes me want to take out the volume of Celebrating the Wild Mushroom by Sara Ann Friedman on the bus this week and read it again.

I will quote from this entertaining and interesting source of mushroom information:

"Morel season lasts for approxiamtely three weeks in the spring. These three weeks fall at different times in different regions of the continent (N. American). They may begin as early as March in Los Angeles and North Carolina and end as late as June or July in Canada. Morels are found in the Rockies as late as August. Part of the attraction of Morels is the mystery that surrounds their location. They are said to grow in old apple orchards, under tulip poplars and near dead elms, on banks and under hedges, under ash, walnut, and in construction sites. ... One New Jersey amateur bought a topographical map of the state and put pins in the areas where he had found morels. All morel areas, he discovered, were rich in limestone. .."

Edited by bleudauvergne (log)