• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What I'd do for a decent pub

yvonne johnson

I would vote for a week night too, just because everywhere is too crowded at weekends (which includes Friday in my book).  Week commencing March 18 is fine.  If we get any of those moderators involved in the planning stage, they'll only start asking about fancy bar snacks.  I would also vote for a crawl, as I am the fidgety type.  The Village works fine, but then so do most areas!  I am also in favor of detailed and anal planning of which bars to visit.

The next paragraph may be dull for some readers:

Yvonne, I was living in Bristol until 1987, but later lived in Soho and visited the Coach more often than I should've.  I take it you mean either the table immediately to the right of the door at the lav end, or the table which sort of sits by itself immediately in front of the door.  I assume you weren't sitting at the "top table" in front of the lavs, dominated by such luminaries as Pickles and Bernard himself.  I always went for the bar stool nearest the divider at that end of the pub, so I could rest my back.  I think it says a lot about the Coach and Horses that we can be pretty sure the furniture hasn't been moved in fifteen years.  Although Norman did make the mistake, in my view, of giving away the the old fashioned wooden bar stools.  I know what happened to them: they were on-stage in Jeffrey Bernard is Unwell!  Added authenticity to the latter.

I just thought of a clean anecdote, which also illustrates the atmosphere.  Two innocent American tourists wander in one evening and ask Michael, the manager, if meals are served.  Answer:  "No, and we don't have beds for the night either, it's not a hotel."  Charm city.

Re Tommy on the UK board, yeah tomorrow's fine.  (Just looked again and saw you actually meant tonight.)  Any night this week is fine.  Takes out the fiendishly detailed planning, but I can see an argument that says that's just as well.

Where's Yvonne gone now?  Like herding cats, isn't it?