• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slow-Cooking Pulao on a Tava(griddle)

rajsuman

Hi,

This is how I made (read: tried to make) pulao today:

Soaked 2 cups basmati rice for 20 mins, drained it well. Fried onions etc. , added the rice, added 3.5 cups of hot water. Brought the water back to the boil, then put the covered vessel on top a hot tava (placed on very low heat). Left it there for 35 minutes. Came back expecting great pulao (I had seen someone produce great results with this method recently), instead found overcooked rice at the bottom and raw rice at the top. I had to throw the whole lot out. Made the same thing (again!) by my normal method - took 15 minutes and was verrrryy nice, but I still would like to know the tawa method.

Any advice, suggestions? Should I have cooked the rice longer on the hob and then transferred it to the tawa?

Thanks,

Suman

Should I have cooked the rice longer on the hob and then transferred it to the tawa?

Probably.

And as Doc said use a thick bottom shallower pan.

The idea is to have a fairly even temperature throughout the height of the pan. By the time heat from the tawa has travelled upward it has dissipated it's energy on a 'first come first served basis.' Ergo the rice on top will be less cooked than the bottom layer.

This works well with biryani as the bottom layer is the meat.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Thanks a lot! Yes I did use a deep vessel (flashbacking to when I saw biryani being made this way - but of course that has the curry at the bottom layer. The pulao was made in a large flat aluminium pan). I knew I could count on you guys to help me troubleshoot! Is aluminium best for this kind of cooking?

Suman

i'm not too well-versed on the relative conductive properties of the different metals (there's a great tutorial on it somewhere on this site). but i'd think cast-iron might be good. i mostly use non-stick hard-anodized aluminum pans, but i don't make pulao this way so can't say.

okay, unless i can use it to open a "gupt rog" clinic in shahdara this "doc" stuff needs to stop. i should never have mentioned it.

I for one am happy to have a doctor in our midst albeit not a medical one. Come to think of it there has always been a doc in my close circle of friends, so addressing you that way comes with ease and a sense of familiarity. If you really dont like it, let me know and deny me that bonhomie.

PS. you know anything about cauliflowers?

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

i suppose after the years of effort that went into getting it i should welcome all recognition of the doctoral status--just sounds a little weird to be addressed as doc, even in jest. just as long as it doesn't mean getting treated with respect :-)

edit to add: as per mark twain, cauliflower=cabbage with college education

Edited by mongo_jones (log)

• 1 month later...

:smile:

The basics of making a grainy Pulao is to cook it on high heat. Rice when cooked on low heat turns in khitchdi.

:huh:

Using Tawa as an underliner to Rice pots is an attempt to keep the rice from getting burnt at the bottom. Its usage has become a norm in some places.

Making goood rice in large quantities, in my opinion is a true test of a responsible cook, not necessarily good

Rice should always be cooked in shallow pots, with a heavy bottom.

Once rice has absorbed almost all moisture, it is safe to turn of the heat and keep the pot covered for some time. Remove lid, and loosen rice with a wooden spatula. Preferably transfer it in another bowl.

Again, I would add drained rice, once the water comes to a boil and not before it. Recipes normally suggest to fry the rice in oil. I strongly reject this approach, it only breaks the grains. Do not leave rice unattended, gently stir twice with a wooden spatula, when cooking

Personally I would prefer to place the pot in a pre-heated oven for 5 - 10 minutes, depending on the size of the pot

:rolleyes: