• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lower Mainland Dessert & Pastry Suggestions?

maxmillan

Maxmillian,

I was very sorry to hear about the bad service at the Bon Ton. I haven't been too many times since they have moved, but I always loved the people there. My mother used to take us to tea there at the old Granville location, where the uniformed ladies would bring around the pastry cart and we would ogle the marzipan animals. My brother and I have always had our birthday cakes from there- a diplomat for me and a black forest for him.

Has anyone mentioned Le Patisserie Lebeau on 2nd?

I love the Savoury Island Pie company, and I love pie!

I actually got flown in a Cessna to the Chilliwack airport on a date once to sample the pie-this was years ago. I remember it being very good road trip pie- the kind of pie you seek out in diners off the Highway as you follow the Yukon Gold Trail or whatever excuse you have for getting out of the city.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Has anyone tried Pane From Heaven yet? It's 1 storefront north of The Smoking Dog on West 1st Avenue. I vaguely recall that the owner used to be a baker at either Ecco Il Pane or Terra Breads, but I could easily stand corrected. In addition to their wide selection of house-baked breads, there are a variety of hot lunch dishes, a fabulous weekend brunch waffle with fresh fruit for $4.95, lots of decadent dessert offerings, and miniature cookies. I personally love their raspberry mousse.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I don't have anything to add, but I just want to say that this discussion has me salivating...

A quick question though, when is the best time, in your mind, to go to a bakery? I assume that it depends on the store, but is there such a time?