• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

German Ingredients

I just purchased "Creative Cakes and Compositions" by Heidel. Great book but he uses ingredients that I have no idea what they are.......

Cream Powder (possibly 50:50 cake flour and cornstarch)

Wheat Powder (i'm thinking cake flour)

Anybody know for sure??????

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Hmm. Not entirely sure, but here's a link to germandeli.com where they sell a product called "Cheese Cake Cream with the following description:

Dr. Oetker Käse-Sahne Tortencreme (Cheese Cake Cream)

Käse-Sahne Torte zählt zu den echten Klassikern. Die Dr. Oetker Käse-Sahne Tortencreme wird mit Sahne, Quark und Wasser zubereitet. Neben der traditionellen Herstellung lässt sie sich bestens unter Zugabe von verschiedenen Obstsorten variieren. Mit den Dr. Oetker Tortencremes werden Tortenträume war. Gelingsicher und ganz einfach entstehen Torten-Kreationen für jeden Anlass, die höchsten Genuss versprechen. Quark, Schlagsahne und Tortenboden zugeben.

Imported Direct from Germany! Attention German Cheese Cake and German Cream Cake bakers! Help is finally here. Dust off your German recipe cards and get ready to bake those traditional cakes if Dr. Oetker's Tortencreme is called for. If you can't find your recipe, simply use the cake recipe included on the back of package. You must be able to read German. For the authentic, traditional German Cheese cakes this is a must-have. Package also includes Decorator Sugar for the finishing touch to your cake. The Cream Powder in this box is equal to 700 ml (just under 3 cups) of liquid - 500 grams of Whipped Cream and 200 ml Water. Remember, Quark is always used in the true German Cheese cake. Warning: Package is written in the German Language Only! Store cool and dry.

In any case, you might wish to contact them and see if they can either suggest a suitable substitute or point you in the right direction.

I'll post one of the recipes as soon as I can

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

I've the book "Creative Compositions for Cakes and Patisserie" by Andreas Heil. The photos are incredible, but like bripastryguy, the only thing stopping me from trying the recipes are the ingredients. For example, wheat powder and wheat flour features in the same recipe. Nope, I don't think they are used interchangeably. Same goes for milk powder and cream powder - used in a recipe. The recipe book is fully in English.

Would love hear more inputs from this thread. Thank you.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

I guess the term "wheat powder" is just a litteral translation of the German "Weizenpuder" which is pure wheat starch, often replaced by potato or corn starch.

Have no clue about cream powder.

Ah the wonders of cookbook translations :biggrin: !!

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

I guess the term "wheat powder" is just a litteral translation of the German "Weizenpuder" which is pure wheat starch, often replaced by potato or corn starch.

I have a small piece of data that fits (or at least is not inconsistent with this). I've seen potato or corn starch used in conjunction with flour in a number of German/Austrian cake recipes.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I would have to agree with the wheat powder being cornstarch, the author uses it many times where cornstarch is generally used.

The cream powder is still urking me

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman