• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best chocolate in SF

So with the recent opening of a Richart boutique in what was already a city saturated with cocoa-rific treats, I got to thinking. As we're so spoiled for choices, how do the various players stack up?

I've always been a Scharffen Berger fan, and even like Schmidt (though more for the sculptural aspects than the actual chocolate), but I was duly impressed with the quality and techique that Richart has to offer. Of course, at those prices, one should certainly be impressed. I've not yet experienced Recchiuti, but am curious.

So where do YOU go to satisfy that craving, to feed the inner cocoa monster?

* Edited for stupid URL coding

Edited by CheNiPenso (log)

Hedonia

Eating, drinking and living the good life in San Francisco

I've always been devoted to Scharffen Berger, though I've tried others. Recchuiti is good: they've got a joint now at the Ferry Plaza building (where Scharffen Berger was one of the first stores to open).

By an incredible coincidence, I met Robert Steinberg (one of the two founders of Scharffen Berger) on Monday night while dining at Amma in New York City. I am happy to report that he is one of the nicest people you could imagine, and that my happiness at being his loyal customer is complete. (He invited me to bring my daughter and tour the factory. I can't wait to meet the Oompa Loompas!)

Scharffen Berger's got a new Extra Dark bar I hadn't tried until Wednesday, when I visited the Ferry Plaza store....but I'm sticking with Bittersweet as my very very favorite.

Down Santa Cruz way, we're very very blessed to have Donnelly Chocolates. Their cardamom truffles are the living end.

Edited by tanabutler (log)

and even like Schmidt (though more for the sculptural aspects than the actual chocolate)

Too true. hehe. Actually, I like their seasonal paper mache (sp) boxes more than i like the chocolates inside. I also like the boxes from Kron chocolates, but I do like their chocolates as well.

Recchiuti is decent, interesting shapes, good quality chocolate making an extra thin shell around the filling. Interesting fillings that sometimes work for me, sometimes not.

Actually Citizen Cake had some little chocolates that were okay, not excellent (to me). They have a decent selection (about the same as Recchiuti) of the fruit pates as well. I like the green apple.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

I'm a fanatical Recchiuti fan, especially loving their Tarragon Grapefruit concoction. I find their confections elegant and interesting.

Therein lies the difference for -- Scharffenberger is amazing chocolate, but it is just that and nothing more. Recchiuti is a confection which is a totally different artform a cut above just chocolate.

Other confections that I admire (and crave) include XO Truffles and the newly-opened (four whole days now!), Woodhouse confections in St. Helena (near Model bakery). Today I brought home their Thai Ginger, Spiced Pecan, and a few others I have yet to taste... Woodhouse doesn't have the interesting flavor combinations that I admire in Recchiuti. Woodhouse is more into stunning decorate shapes (the Thai Ginger is an Oriental fan).

Therein lies the difference for -- Scharffenberger is amazing chocolate, but it is just that and nothing more. Recchiuti is a confection which is a totally different artform a cut above just chocolate.

This is a good point. I don't need much adornment when I seek a chocolate hit.

This is a good point. I don't need much adornment when I seek a chocolate hit.

It's a very important point. Sharffen Berger makes good chocolate, which is a rare craft these days. What a confectioner does with chocolate is another matter, and it's a matter of personal taste whether the confections are worthwhile or not. Personally, I find many of Recchiutti's confections dreadful, but then I prefer to mainline the 70%+ stuff without a hint of asofoetida or durian or whatever getting in the way. Confectioners are nothing without good chocolate. Recchiutti happens to use E. Guittard chocolate (another notable Bay Area chocolate manufacturer), but then so does See's.

Personally, I find many of Recchiutti's confections dreadful, but then I prefer to mainline the 70%+ stuff without a hint of asofoetida or durian or whatever getting in the way.

You mean, you don't like the "star anise and pink peppercorn" confection?

hehe. No need to shudder. I just had one and did it for you. However, I did like the earl grey stuff. i drink earl grey with chocolate all the time.

See's may use Guittard chocolate as well, but it ain't the same thing.

I used to go to Neuhaus all the time, before I wised up.

Edited by jschyun (log)

--NeroW

If someone has mentioned this forgive me. Gelateria Naia (used to be mondo gelato) in berkeley has scharfenberger (sp) flavor. Good, even though I'm not a big fan of Scharf except cocoa.

They change their flavors daily, but they also had Peeps flavor (as in the marshmallow confection). I had a taste and it tasted just like them (prob use marshmallow fluff).

--NeroW

You mean, you don't like the "star anise and pink peppercorn" confection?

You know, I bought a Green Box of Recchiuti to sample, and tried that very confection. I liked it! It reminded me of the Richart confections -- pronounced notes of the infused ingredient but always in balance with the chocolate itself. Some of their other ones, though, I was less impressed with -- they didn't do such a great job with the herbal notes. I could barely taste the tarragon in the Tarragon-Grapefruit, and the Spring Jasmine Tea tasted like nothing at all. However, the Pearl Mint Tea was spectacular.

Hedonia

Eating, drinking and living the good life in San Francisco