• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quebec Ice Cider

CheNiPenso

Last year I went to Quebec and for the first time had Ice Cider. And I liked it. In particular, I found the Domaine Pinnacle to be the superior product. I picked up 30 or so bottles while there (OK, 3, but I should have gotten 30), but quickly ran out, and I have not been able to find it domestically. Does anyone know a good source for this?

Hedonia

Eating, drinking and living the good life in San Francisco

As different as wine is to grape juice. Domaine Pinnacle's cider has an unctuousness and complex sweetness -- it's closer to a good Sauternes than to standard hard cider. It's more like wine all around -- higher alcohol content, no effervescence. While it does retain a definite apple undertone, it has layers of earthiness, even a mild funkiness like bleu cheese. I'm hooked. I've contacted them re: US distributors, haven't heard back yet.

Hedonia

The best ice cider coming out of Quebec right now is made by a company called La Face Cachee de la Pomme. Their "Neiges" wine is excellent, but if you can get your hands on "Frimas" you'll be blown away. It's like tarte Tatin in liquid form. The other stuff is more like apple pie. The Frimas is actually made with apples picked from the trees in winter (most ice cider is made with apples frozen in a freezer or in bins outside).

Web site: www.cidredeglace.com

for pictures of the apples still on the trees go to: www.cidredeglace.com/frimas-procede.asp

What kind of prices does this stuff go for?

(editorializing)

i have resisted commenting until now, since IMHO ice wines and ciders are too sweet and too pricy. :smile:

(/end editorializing)

but you can search for all varietal types--if not import them directly (?)--through the Societe des Alcools de Quebec website. good luck!

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

but you can search for all varietal types--if not import them directly (?)--through the Societe des Alcools de Quebec website. good luck!

Yeah, sadly, SAQ ships only in Quebec. Rat bastards!

And double yeah, it ain't cheap, but it is a particular product with particular characteristics. I feel the same way about ice wine. Worth it once in a while.

Hedonia

Update -- from the horse's mouth:

"We are working on building US distribution now so it is not currently available.

If you would like some product we can arrange to ship to you directly. If you want

to do this, please contact Jennifer Smith toll-free at 1-866-661-1222. Price is

$22 Canadian for our Ice Cider and $32 for our Signature Special Reserve plus shipping

(which Jennifer can tell you based on how much you are ordering and where we are

shipping). You can pay by credit card."

Now, I honestly don't know if I had the regular Ice Cider or the Special Reserve, but it seems to me it was just the standard. I'm assuming they're quoting in US dollars.

Hedonia

Price is

$22 Canadian for our Ice Cider and $32 for our Signature Special Reserve plus shipping

Now, I honestly don't know if I had the regular Ice Cider or the Special Reserve, but it seems to me it was just the standard. I'm assuming they're quoting in US dollars.

it is dangerous to assume, even more so because they already said Canadian dollars.

Of course we Canadians are always happy to accept US dollars at par. :raz:

D'oh! I glossed right over the word "Canadian" after the $22. How typically American of me. I can attribute part of that to force of habit and formatting -- when we quote Canadian dollars editorially, we use C$ or alternately CAD in our publication.

Hedonia