• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

York Ham in London?

Where can I find a York Ham in London? Harrods? Harvey Nicks?

Apparently this is what to have if you do not like the super-salty gammons...but where to find it??

I'm looking for one to bake for Easter, maybe I left it too late? :blink:

Edited by sandra (log)

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Last time I was there, Harrods' food hall did have York ham, so it's worth checking.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Is it notorious?

I read that it is cured with sugar, therefore not as salty as most varieties available in the UK...

This is why I'm looking for it....

We'll see....

Thanks Hannah, I'm off to Harrods.

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

It can be already cooked, but I'm looking for one that is un-cooked, to glaze it with honey and mustard... One of my cookbooks has a recipe for this...

It's proving quite difficult, actually - no luck at Harrods or HN or Selfridges or at any of several butcher at Smithfield Markets or the Ginger Pig...

Everything sold here seems to be cured in salt ...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

I agree with you about them sometimes being too salty; in the past I have soaked them first for 24 hours in cold water, changed a couple of times. That get rids of a lot of the salt. I am a huge fan of baked ham with that lovely caramelized coating and cloves.

A caveat -- I have only done this with smaller joints say 5-6lbs. It might not work with a whole ham.

I thought that York ham still has salt in the cure; and it is normally eaten cold, in my experience. But I am not a ham expert.

"But I am not a ham expert. "

Ya, well, neither am I - I am learning a bit though, been talking to butchers all morning! No one seems to be able to help me with what I want...

I am going to have to buy a gammon joint and soak it and boil it and then bake and glaze it apparently... It seems to be the only way...

In the USA, there are some pigs that are are fed on peaches and corn, and these are the ones used for "baked ham" never salty...

You know the ham you get sliced to put into sandwiches, as in honey roast ham, for example, this is what I am looking for...

But we will see what happens with the gammon, if it tastes even 1/2 as salty after all the prep, that will be a result...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

York cure is a mild, unsmoked cure, so any mild cured butchers cure should substitute. I know the butcher at the Borough market makes hams, but you may have to pre-order.

Two other English cures are 'Bradenham' and 'Suffolk' Both of these cures are richer, but the best baked ham I have had was made from a 'Bradenham' ham. Utterly perfect pig.

I could be wrong here, but by definition ham will be cured in salt, even if there is sugar or other sweetners in the cure. To prepare the ham for baking they are pre-soaked, sometimes pre-cooked by simmering in water/stock, then baked. I guess it is possible that you can by hams that have been pre-soaked and cooked for baking, but if you are looking for a specific cure type and mention that it is for baking, I think that most producerd will assume that you want to do the soaking and pre-cooking yourself.

Wiltshire cure is another mild cure to look for, although this will mostly be gammon.

Edited by Adam Balic (log)