• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carbomb Ice Cream

onefastchef

Well as the title reads, I have finally developed an Irish Carbomb Ice Cream. I was sitting at home the other day stare-ing at my Cuisinart Duel Qt maker and the tiny little light bulb above my head went off. I bet I could make some ice cream. So I run to the liquor store and get some Guinness, Baileys, and a bottle of Jameson. Well 7 hours and three qts later I figures it out. I did a Guinness Base, a Baileys base and a Jameson Caramel swirl through them both. I also added chocolate chunks for some other texture. MMMMMMMMM,MMMMMMMM

• 2 weeks later...
"He seemed to find some humor in scaring kids with an ice cream truck,"

That's great. Just Great! Thanks for the laugh, Mongo. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

This sounds like something I get called to for my dog to work!

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

I've long been making Guinness ice cream (reduce a pint or more with a touch of sugar into a syrup, sometimes with a vanilla bean husk in it, add to a reach, 9-yolk custard base and freeze in ice cream maker), but your recipe sounds great. Do you make the Baileys and Guinness bases separately, then mix them together?

How do you make the Jameson caramel???

Well sorry for the long wait for the recipe. This is my first day off in a while. DAMN EASTER BRUNCH...Oh well. Here is the recipe:

Base for Baileys and Guinness Ice cream

4C milk

4C Heavy whipping Cream

1 1/2 C Sugar (granulated)

2 each Vanilla bean split and seeded

12 egg yolks

Bring all ingedients execpt for egg yolks to a slow boil. Turn down to medium and temper in yolks. Bring back up to a boil(watch so you do not curdle the eggs). Reduce 1 1/2 cans Guinness by 2/3.

Split mixture into two batches and add Guinness syrup to one and the Baileys(just pour from the bottle 3/4 cups) to the other. DO NOT MIX THE TWO TOGETHER. Just wait....its worth it.

Now on to the greatest idea that took forever to make well.

Make a basic caramel suace...2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup H2O, 1 tbls lemon juice. Bring to a temp of 320-340 F on the stove....WATCH OUT...ITS HOT...DONT DO THE CHEF THING AND PUT A FINGER IN THE CARAMEL...then when it comes to temp, add 1 cup of boiling heavy cream SLOWLY into the caramel. Now this next step you have to figure out how to do it becuase I cannot remember how I did. You have to burn the alcohol from a shot and a half of Jameson and add it into the caramel and then add another 1 shot of regular Jameson into the suace.

Now you should be at teh step of putting the icecreams into the maker and letting them freeze. get them to about soft serve consistancy and here is the trick of the CARBOMB. use two pastry bags and fill one with the Guinness and one with the Baileys. have another person with a squeeze botlle filled with the caramel and you all have to pipe the ice creams out in layers...dont just mix them all together...make layers so that it tastes like a Carbomb....enjoy...anymore questions feel free to ask..