• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turnips, I got 'em.

Richard Kilgore

The thread on Kale generated so many good ideas I decided to ask about what everyone does with turnips. I got a bag of them specifically to do a turnip omlette based on a recipe in Richard Olney's Simple French Food. And even here I have a question due to an unintended amiguity created by his sentence structure: do I peel these things before grating them? Or just clean them up, trim the ends and grate?

Beyond that I would very much like to hear what you do with turnips.

Puree them and mix with lots of unsalted butter, cream. Fold in herbs, adjust seasoning. A little white truffle oil is amazing but not necessary.

Roast them, along with winter root vegs, and toss with a lemon balsamic viniagrette.

Make a vichysoisse, except add in a couple of turnips.

Make Szechuan pickled turnips.

I could come up with a few more, I think.

Soba

Trim the ends and peel.

I like turnips alot. Try treating them just like mashed potatoes. Boil them and add butter, cream, s and p and they are good like that.

I just added a recipe that I like for Baked Turnips and Cheese (egrecipe #930). It's quick and easy and tasty. What more could you ask from a turnip?

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Toss them with duck fat and roast.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Compost 'em. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

As a kindergartener I was given raw turnip for the first time. I think I was the only one who liked it...but still, I vote for raw. Mashed is good also, and I think roasted might turn out nicely, even though I have not tried it myself.

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

Here's some other good ideas on a recent thread turnip ideas

I think there is a turnip cake recipe in there too (yum).

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Make la soupe de la vierge (virgin soup): peel the turnips, dice them, put them in a saucepan with some melted butter and let them cook for a few minutes over low heat. Then cover with milk and simmer very gently, uncovered, until they are soft. Then whizz them with a blender, food processor, stick blender -- or put them through a food mill. Sieve them if you want to. You could add some chopped, melted onions at the first cooking stage: less virginal, but more flavour. Correct the seasoning with salt, white pepper, lemon juice or yoghurt for acidity.

I once made this for a church "safari supper". The number of people arriving at our house kept changing throughout the day: one more, one less, two more, one less, etc.. When it came time to serve, my wife set out 7 bowls, which I carefully and evenly filled. Unfortunately, by this time, there were 8 people dining, and no soup left. So I filled a bowl with milk and brought it in the dining room to my place, and enjoyed a bowlful of cold milk. Our guests never found out. But they enjoyed the soup.

For Olney's recipe: peel first, then grate.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

Peel them, cut them into little matchsticks, mix with chopped coriander and green onion, pour some hot peanut oil over them, them mix in a little soy sauce and sesame oil and a pinch of sugar. Yummy salad! I hate them cooked, though.

By the way, the treatment for turnips depends somewhat on the quality of the turnips to hand. Fresh salads will work beautifully with young, tender turnips. Older and woodier ones need to be cooked.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

Using small-medium white turnips, purple shoulders: Blanch them, quarter them, fry them in butter, then dust them with fried bread crumbs. For specifics, see Child's Mastering....

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Turnips and lamb are a traditional pairing

Navet of lamb (lamb stew with turnips)

Roast with lamb

Julienne with remoulade, like celeriac

Nip and Nip: Turnip and Parsnip, either pureed or as soup (with a tiny pinch of curry powder)

Jacque Pepin's recipe for Pot Roast in his Cooking with Julia cookbook uses turnips and is delicious. I made it last weekend and it was a crowd pleaser.

Along those lines, I made a beef stew this weekend with diced carrots, parsnips, and turnips. The vegs kept their shape and tasted very good after the long, slow simmer.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I have to say that I agree with everyone; especially, of course, Soba.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Mashed with cream, mixed with chopped steamed kale and slices of spicy sausage.

Or the same with shredded baccala.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

And don't forget the turnip greens! They're delicious when trimmed from the stalk and prepared as you would kale or collards. I continue to grow turnips in my garden despite my lack of success at producing actual turnips larger than a marble simply because of the greens.

SteveA

Check out our Fooddoings and more at A View from Eastmoreland

Richard-

One of the most popular pickled vegetables in Lebanon are the turnips. You find them in almost every house (I made a batch a couple of weeks ago). They are normally pickled with a slice or two of beets in the jar and turn a nice deep pink/purple color. They are one of the most traditional accompaniments to Falafel. If you have Claudia Roden’s book she has a very good and easy recipe for them.

Try peeling, slicing thin and tossing in a salad.

I also concur with the suggestions for using in beef stew.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Make a Moroccan couscous with turnips, carrots, zucchini, chickpeas, raisins, onion, garlic, tomatoes, etc., and of course harissa. Delicious!

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.