• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish in a packet

stevea

With Fata, you do not have any drying problem since little moisture excapes (do not seal it completely, knotting with twine is fine, or you can get a messy pop).

I like Fata because of the display, but some find the plastic a little cheesy. One way I have used it entertaining is with a hot plate. For a fish dish, you put this nicely wrapper "present" on the hot plate (one medium/low) and all can watch it through the first course puffing up and steaming. Then when opened, the immediate aromas are a treat. I like it more than the polymeric box at Moto. For desert, some bread squares, some sliced fruit and some spices and you get a wonderful tableside bread pudding.

I did not mean to suggest earlier that Fata is an alternative to sous vide. This thread was how best to prepare fish, with a focus on a wrapped technique to maintain moisture and impart flavors. For this, and in particular because of my general desire to control textures as well as flavors, that I suggested sous vide as an alternative. I have found no better way to prepare certain fish, particularly fish like skate.

With Fata, you do not have any drying problem since little moisture excapes (do not seal it completely, knotting with twine is fine, or you can get a messy pop).

I like Fata because of the display, but some find the plastic a little cheesy. One way I have used it entertaining is with a hot plate. For a fish dish, you put this nicely wrapper "present" on the hot plate (one medium/low) and all can watch it through the first course puffing up and steaming. Then when opened, the immediate aromas are a treat. I like it more than the polymeric box at Moto. For desert, some bread squares, some sliced fruit and some spices and you get a wonderful tableside bread pudding.

I did not mean to suggest earlier that Fata is an alternative to sous vide. This thread was how best to prepare fish, with a focus on a wrapped technique to maintain moisture and impart flavors. For this, and in particular because of my general desire to control textures as well as flavors, that I suggested sous vide as an alternative. I have found no better way to prepare certain fish, particularly fish like skate.

Proper way to do it is use an electric sealer.

Rectangle of FATA.

Trimmed off neatly.

Sealed *deflated* when it goes into the oven.

Puffs up nicely, does not pop.

Aromas released at table.