• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New techniques YEY or Ney

mjmchef

I would like to hear some thoughts from other chefs as to whether or not certain new techniques that are applied in cooking methods or pastry for that matter are reallly worth the trouble.

Examples: cooking fish in a 140 degree water bath for 40-50 minutes or in a 180-200 degree oven basting vigoursly every 3 minutes for 20 minutes with an end product looking like sushi and having a softer mouth feel. Same technique apllying to meats and certain poultry.only different cooking times. If the overall end product is going to be better in flavor and texture,etc. then by all means I'm for it but when you take away the crispness of sauteed fish or the roasted flavor of meat where do you draw the line. Because a science book tells us that it is the perfect correct way to cook these items to retain all it's natural flavor and so on. I'm not so sure now. I think as chefs we all want to remain cutting edge in any way shape or form, but when it comes to the patrons I think it goes beyond wanting to educate them. We have to listen! IF they love sautee'd salmon for the crispy texture and roasted flavor, who am I to tell them that the new way I cook it brings out all the more flavor in it and is the best way to cook it. Another example would be "FOie GRas". Would you rather have this delicate item prepared in a foam state, cooked in a water bath, or have that nice caramelized flavor with a crisp velvety texture? There are good points also take for example the old rule of thumb when they told us not to mix water and chocolate. Well i using the proper ratio, if you mix white chocolate with water and melt it together and place in a whip cream gun and keep it warm you have a great tasting hot white chocolate mousse textured product with no sugar or cream needed. What's good is good so why mess with it.

The Maillard effect creates flavour compounds that were not previously present. Searing and such does not take away natural flavours but introduces new natural flavours.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

The Maillard effect creates flavour compounds that were not previously present. Searing and such does not take away natural flavours but introduces new natural flavours.

aren't the newly created flavor compounds also natural??

Obviously, I'm going to have to research this mehtod. I am awfully fond of the crispies tho. ;-)

Too bad that all the people who know

how to run the country are busy driving

taxicabs and cutting hair.

--George Burns

Not mixing water and chocolate applies to specific conditions and uses -- as in, chocolate will seize if a small amount of moisture gets into it while it is melting. But melting chocolate into a large amount of liquid is fine.

It's not as though we are all now going to be forced to use the new technique exclusively. I am all for experimentation if it produces a positive result (whether of taste, smell, or texture). More ways to experience and enjoy good food? A definite Yea! vote. :biggrin:

Obviously, I'm going to have to research this mehtod. I am awfully fond of the crispies tho. ;-)

Sure, that's what I said.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Sure, that's what I said.

okay..... I'm not normally slow on the uptake, but - I must've been here.

I'll go get some more coffee.;-)

Too bad that all the people who know

how to run the country are busy driving

taxicabs and cutting hair.

--George Burns

It seems to me that new cooking techniques are about exploring different aspects of the food. Certainly the diner is going to experience something different (different flavors, textures, aromas) eating a piece of fish that was cooked sous vice versus low temperature poached versus fried versus poached in evoo versus grilled versus roasted and so on. Now, it may be the case that you prefer the crisp texture and Maillard flavors produced by certain cooking techniques, and that's fine. But I wouldn't go so far to suggest that any one of these techniques necessarily produces "better flavor and texture." Who is to say whether a piece of poached salmon has better flavor and texture than grilled salmon? They are simply cooking techniques that highlight different aspects of the product. This is why I find dishes "cooked X ways" so interesting -- I get to experience several preparations that bring out different features of the ingredient. New cooking techniques, as I view them, are all about highlighting aspects of the ingredient that were not possible with existing techniques or technology. And, of course, some of them are for the sake of convenience -- but this is not as interesting to me.

--

That's rue, Sam. The X ways presentations can be great fun to do as well as eat.