• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eggplants and Aubergines

Rosie x

For some reason I cannot stand ratatouille but I love caponata. 

oh, hear hear, it's the best, isn't it? I sometimes make it but leaving out the aubergine (so just use tomatoes, celery, raisins, onions, pinenuts, etc) then, separately, chargrill/sear slices of aubergine and top with a spoonful of caponata and maybe some mozzarella or just olive oil. mmmm.

oh my god - is that deconstructing??

Aubergines are also very good in a recipe based on something Nigel Slater once published in The Observer. Fry onion/garlic, soften aubergine chunks, add chopped tomatoes, cinammon, crushed cardamom, red chilli, half a tin of coconut milk, simmer till tender, squeeze in some lime + chop in some coriander. Heavenly with basmati rice.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

I made eggplant lasagna last night, and it was wonderful. All of the recipes I saw said to cut the eggplant into quarter inch slices and then pan fry a bit to soften... I decided to coat them in a thin layer of oil and bake them on sheet pans instead to try to get them all done faster, and to free up space on top fo the range. Maybe I baked too long, or cut too thin, because my eggplant slices turned out sort of crispy.

However, they did soften up when put into the casserole dish with all of the wet ingredients, and ended up tasting wonderful. The couple slices of 'roasted eggplant' (ala roasted cauliflower) I helped myself too were also quite tasty.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

• 3 months later...

*bump*

It seems that eggplants are finally back in the market and the season is upon us again. I recently was the proud owner of the most gorgeous regular old American Globe eggplants. Having eaten up my Eggplant Gratin in a batch of pressed sandwiches for an excursion, I went to my pantry for inspiration. Eggplant Stew - with a Mexican twist was the result. I have now deemed it worthy to be included in the venerable RecipeGullet. Not all recipes make that cut. :biggrin: This is really good stuff.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

*bump*

It seems that eggplants are finally back in the market and the season is upon us again. I recently was the proud owner of the most gorgeous regular old American Globe eggplants. Having eaten up my Eggplant Gratin in a batch of pressed sandwiches for an excursion, I went to my pantry for inspiration. Eggplant Stew - with a Mexican twist was the result. I have now deemed it worthy to be included in the venerable RecipeGullet. Not all recipes make that cut.  :biggrin: This is really good stuff.

Fifi, that eggplant gratin is excellent. Thanks for including it and the stew with the Mexican twist. (I haven't tried that one yet, but I will soon. I love eggplant.)

I got an interesting transoceanic echo a couple of nights after trying your Eggplant Gratin, when I cooked up an eggplant casserole from one of my Egyptian cookbooks. The chief differences between that recipe and yours are that the Egyptian casserole is a stovetop exercise - at last, I finally have fried eggplant without getting it greasy! - and that it's meatless. The casserole was smoother and oilier than your gratin, with everything collasped down nearly past recognition from frying and/or sauteing, but the flavors were very similar anyway. (Well, except for the chorizo.) Both lend themselves well to sandwiches, or refrigerator raiding. :biggrin:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

As soon as I get that tagine cured, and get my flame tamer, I am going to try some of the recipes that Smithy references. I am thinking that clay pot cooking with eggplant will be a winner.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Just wanted to add that the Al Forno caponata recipe, which includes grilled eggplants (and makes enough for an army), is outstanding. I've tweaked it over the years; if anyone's interested, let me know and I'll post my revision.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Since they were mentioned above, I thought I might go into a bit more detail about Thai eggplants. There are three kinds that are normally used:

1. Makheua Proh: These are the roun, golfball-sized white and green eggplants often sliced into quarters and put in curry or eaten raw with nam phrik. There are two kinds: the hard, predominately white ones are usually eaten raw (unfortunately, the majority sold in the US are this type), the slightly softer ones are used for cooking. Although they look and taste quite similar, they're not used interchangeably by Thais.

2. Makheua Phuang: These are the tiny green "pea eggplants" often used in curries (especially in combination with makhuea proh in kaeng khiaow waan, green curry). They are slightly bitter and are generally cooked, except for when slightly pounded with nam phrik kapi (shrimp paste dip) to add a slightly bitter taste. In northern Thailand they're grilled and smashed up with long green chilies in another popular dip. Western-style peas are NOT a good substitute. If you can't find the real thing, just go without them.

3. Makheua yaaw: The long, green "Japanese eggplant". This is usually cooked, and used in many muslim-style Thai curries, especially kaeng karii. It is also grilled and made into a "yam", a kind of Thai salad with lime/fish sauce/sugar.

There are a couple other small white or yellow eggplants in Thailand. These are generally only eaten raw with nam phrik.

All eggplants brown very quickly when cut, so a good idea is to have a bowl of water with a squeeze of lime, or a tsp. of vinegar to hold them in.

I wish I had some photos... Maybe I'll take some this weekend if I go to Or Tor Kor.

Austin

Soba, I was trying to avoid the sliminess because of all of the complaints and suicide notes I receive when slimy okra is served.

Jin,

Why is okra full of snot? If it wasn't for that I'd eat the hell out of it.

Okra is an acquired taste that once acquired can never be lost.

From April's Gourmet, this recipe for Fried Stuffed Chinese Eggplant looks appetizing.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I went to Or Tor Kor, took pictures of Thai eggplants, got home, edited them...then discovered that I'm not able to post them here... I'm not sure what the problem is, I can make a link, but I can't see how to upload an image file and put it here. Anyway, the photos are on public view in the image section, but without any explanation it doesn't help much...!

Austin

OK, here goes, lets see if this works:

gallery_29586_1091_897.jpg

Above is a photo of makhuea proh; the kind that is usually cooked in curries (but can be eaten raw with nam phrik, chili pastes).

gallery_29586_1091_709.jpg

Above are makhuea phuang (bunch eggplants), also used in curries, or often raw and pounded up in nam phrik kapi.

gallery_29586_1091_6764.jpg

Makhuea yaaw (long eggplant). Often grilled, or sliced in some (often Muslim-style) curries.

gallery_29586_1091_8926.jpg

And finally a couple kinds of tiny eggplants usually eaten raw with nam phrik.

Hope this helps!

Austin

Cool pictures, Austin. I have seen all of those at my Asian markets except for the pretty stiped ones. I have never seen those, even in rather exotic seed catalogs.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I just noticed that you said raw. I don't know that I have ever eaten a raw eggplant. Well, except to nibble while slicing to check for bitterness. That is an interesting concept that requires more exploration.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Yeah, it's very common to eat eggplants raw in Thailand, especially with nam phrik. (In case you're not familiar with it, nam phrik is a generally spicy "dip" eaten by Thais.) Raw eggplants are slightly bitter, but are usually appealingly crunchy. When sliced, it's best to squeeze a lime over them so they don't turn brown.

Austin

You can barely make out some yellow and purple ones in the background as well.  Those are used in an identical way.

Austin

Austin - great images and information. I was wondering if you had any information on these yellow eggplants. They have been flown in from Thailand and you can judge the size from the pea eggplants etc. They smell very floral, really quite unlike any other eggplant I have had before. I thought that I would try some raw, but this was a mistake as they were so caustic that my throat felt raw for the rest of the day. I was too scared to use them after that...... :unsure:

gallery_1643_473_1103107792.jpg

Adam . . . I got curious about your reaction to the raw eggplant and raw throat. I pulled out my shiny new copy of McGee and started reading. A couple of things could be going on. Eggplants can be fairly high in tannins that produce what we call astringency. Then there are alkaloids that you may just have a sensitivity to. I know folks that can't eat honeydew melon or bananas because of such a reaction. Too much banana eaten plain makes my son's throat itch. He can eat them in a smoothie, though. I have no idea if any of this is related.

Anyway, in my search I found this fascinating piece of "I-didn't-know-that" information:

Eggplants are the only major vegetable in the nightshade family that came from the Old World. An early ancestor may have floated from Africa to India or Southeast Asia, where it was domesticated, and where small, bitter varieties are still appreciated as a condiment. Arab traders brought it to Spain and North Africa in the Middle Ages, and it was eaten in Italy in the 15th century, in France by the 18th.

Ya gotta love McGee.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

It didn't seem like a tannic reaction (no real feeling of astringency). It may be something specific to this type as I have never come across it's like before. As I said it looks just like a yellow version of the typical apple eggplant, but it had this strong floral smell.

I got the feeling that it might be the exception to the rule that these eggplants are eaten raw, but I would like to know if this is correct.

Cool McGee quote. I have wondered about this. Makes sense, as gourds are found in both the new world and old world and are thought to have drifted across from one to the other. Seems unlikley, until you consider that Elephant bird eggs from Madagascar have ended up on the west coast of Australia after floating across the Indian Ocean.

Slice eggplants, the long thin kind

Fill with a stuffing of chopped shrimp or pork, green onions

, a bit of soy, starch, garlic, ginger whatever.

Lightly coat with flour if you want, throw into a fry pan filled with peanut or canola. Fry those suckers up.

Top with a sauce made from soy, sweet bean paste, chiles, white wine, corn starch and water. Green onions.

• 4 weeks later...

last night i ate a superbly simple sandwich: a baguette brushed with EVOO, marinated, grilled eggplant (honestly i prefer the term aubergine - sexy veg), plum tomatoes, rocket (arugula/rucola) and camembert cheese. yum :smile:

it was the best thing in my mouth all week.

"Thy food shall be thy medicine" -Hippocrates