• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hard Boiled Eggs

Rosie

I would have put them on the oven rack, except fear held me back.

Yes, I liked them very much. My only thought was that they lost a great deal of weight in the cooking, maybe if they were cooked in water this wouldn't occur and the texture of the egg would be different? Not, that there was a problem with the texture, which was similar to a 'normal' hard boiled egg. Cumin was an excellent suggestion.

Next time I will use Aruacana eggs (or legbarrs) and get people to peel their own eggs. The contrast between the tan egg whites and the blue of the shell will be quite pretty.

I would have put them on the oven rack, except fear held me back.

Yes, I liked them very much. My only thought was that they lost a great deal of weight in the cooking, maybe if they were cooked in water this wouldn't occur and the texture of the egg would be different? Not, that there was a problem with the texture, which was similar to a 'normal' hard boiled egg. Cumin was an excellent suggestion.

Next time I will use Aruacana eggs (or Cream Legbars) and get people to peel their own eggs. The contrast between the tan egg whites and the blue of the shell will be quite pretty.

Edited by Adam Balic (log)

I've never done them longer than 5 hours. I think if you go further you get deeper color but you lose moisture. I am sure if take them out after 4 or hours you will obtain that unusual flavor and texture.

Since terra cotta gets the heat higher than indicated on the oven dial, maybe you should try the eggs right on the rack to avoid the dreaded green ring. ..

Edited by hedgehog (log)