• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai Sticky Rice and Mango

Ok.. well now I would like to ask for someone's exact recipe, please..

5/31/06 NY Times Mark Bittman The Minimalist

Sticky Rice with Mango

Time: About 1 hours, plus at least 1 hour's soaking

1 1/2 cups Thais sticky rice (kao niow) or broken jasmine rice

1 1/2 cups canned coconut milk

3 tablespoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste

2 to 4 ripe mangoes, depending on size, peeled, pitted and sliced.

1. Rince rice, then soak it in water to cover for at least 1 hur and up to 24. Drain wrap in cheesecloth and place in a steamer over boiling water. Steam for about 30 minutes until tender. Set aside to cool for half an hour or so.

2. In a pan, gently warm coconut milk with sugar and salt, just until they are dissolved.

#. Pour half the cocunut milk mixture over the warm sticky rice and stir well to combine. Transfer sweetened rice to individual serving bowls and top with remaining cocunut milk. Add mango slices and serve.

Yield 4 servings.

Ok.. well now I would like to ask for someone's exact recipe, please..

5/31/06 NY Times Mark Bittman The Minimalist

Sticky Rice with Mango

Time: About 1 hours, plus at least 1 hour's soaking

1 1/2 cups Thais sticky rice (kao niow) or broken jasmine rice

1 1/2 cups canned coconut milk

3 tablespoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste

2 to 4 ripe mangoes, depending on size, peeled, pitted and sliced.

1. Rince rice, then soak it in water to cover for at least 1 hur and up to 24. Drain wrap in cheesecloth and place in a steamer over boiling water. Steam for about 30 minutes until tender. Set aside to cool for half an hour or so.

2. In a pan, gently warm coconut milk with sugar and salt, just until they are dissolved.

#. Pour half the cocunut milk mixture over the warm sticky rice and stir well to combine. Transfer sweetened rice to individual serving bowls and top with remaining cocunut milk. Add mango slices and serve.

Yield 4 servings.

This is very similar to the recipe I use. I sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on top, as well.

Yum, I love this dish!

Hi there,

It's best to soak the rice overnight with some salt in the water to obtain good consistency and I would use glutinuous rice instead of broken jasmine rice unless its the same where you're located. I would line a steamer with cheese cloth, put the rice then cover loosely with the cloth and steam till cooked. It should be sticky and rice is translucent when cooked with a little spring to it.

Cheers...

Don

Cheers...

Don

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there,

It's best to soak the rice overnight with some salt in the water to obtain good consistency and I would use glutinuous rice instead of broken jasmine rice unless its the same where you're located. I would line a steamer with cheese cloth, put the rice then cover loosely with the cloth and steam till cooked.  It should be sticky and rice is translucent when cooked with a little spring to it.

Cheers... 

Don

Thanks Don!

Edited by paynes1 (log)

Glutinous rice needs soaking before steaming. Best if left overnight. Add a few slices of lime or lemon when soaking and the rice, when cooked will have a nice sheen (and no, it will not alter the taste)