• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian Beef ala Chicago

vw8v

Help!

as a displaced person from Chicago, I am dying for some Italian Beef. Dipped. with hot peppers.

Now, I know I can't get Gonnella bread here, or Scala beef, but for those of you that have had an Italian Beef in Chicago, is there ANY place in the Philly area where I can partake in this particular gluttony?

The cheesesteaks aren't cutting it.

thanks!

Help!

as a displaced person from Chicago, I am dying for some Italian Beef.  Dipped.  with hot peppers.

Now, I know I can't get Gonnella bread here, or Scala beef, but for those of you that have had an Italian Beef in Chicago, is there ANY place in the Philly area where I can partake in this particular gluttony?

thanks!

I confess I don't know from Chicago style Italian beef. I'm certain it must be delicious if it can elicit this sort of withdrawl! I'm thinkin' you need to develop a new favorite sandwich that will tide you over between visits back to Chicago. Because let's face it, it's never going to be as good here, even if it does exist somewhere. The dimestore pyschologist in me wonders if you're having tranferrance issues and you really really want the cheesesteaks to be something they can never be. Perhaps this is the root of your disappointment. :hmmm:

Since the cheesesteaks just aren't cutting it for you, in the inimitable words of Steven Stills, you need to love the one you're with. My suggestions for new Philly specialty sandwiches to audition as your new favorite are the following:

1) Roast Pork at Tony Luke's (Front & Oregon Ave). With Broccoli Rabe and Aged Provolone. It gets no better than that. There's also the veal or chicken cutlet sandwiches which aren't too bad either. Good roast beef too.

2) A Veggie Hoagie at Chickie's Deli (10th & Federal Sts.). Ths is the best vegetarian sandwich of all time. Not that it could possibly replace beef, but it's DAMN good as well.

3) A Special Tuna Hoagie at Chickie's. They use the good Italian tuna packed in olive oil. It's amazing.

4) Any of the special hoagies from Chickie's. They use the best cold cuts, real prosciutto di Parma, good cheese and the best rolls. You can't screw up with the best of everything.

5) A Cubano sandwich from Tierra Colombiana (North 5th Street just off the Roosevelt Blvd.) This is the real deal. If you closed your eyes you'd swear you were on Calle Ocho in Miami.

6) A cutlet sandwich from Shank & Evelyn's on 10th Street. Schnitzel-style veal or chicken sticking way out of the sides of the roll. Awesome!

7) Vietnamese hoagies from any one of a number of places on or near Washington Avenue.

This ought to keep you busy for a little while. :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Help!

as a displaced person from Chicago, I am dying for some Italian Beef. Dipped. with hot peppers.

thanks!

Just as you cannot get a good cheesesteak in Chicago, you are not going to get a good Chicago Italian beef sandwich in Philadelphia. I have lived in both cities and have resolved myself to the fact that "It ain,t gonna happen". Adapt or move.

BTW - I lived in Philadelphia 10 years before moving to Chicago 20 years ago. Sandwiches, in addition to the cheesesteaks, and especially the hoagies, in Philadelphia, are much, much better. Get out there and enlighten yourself. Gonnela bread sucks compared to some of the breads in Philadelphia and Pat Scala, who once was a client of mine, agreed that Philadelphia had the best Italian oriented sandwiches in America.

I've had Italian beefs in Chicago on many occasions, and what makes it unique isn't the beef. It's the gardeneria (spelling?), that vinegary mix of veggies to spread on the sandwich or eat as a side.

I think, however, you should get yourself down to the Reading Terminal Market and go directly to Tommy DiNic's. Though Tommy is justly famous for his roast pork, I think you'll find his beef comes the closest in Philadelphia to your ideal.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

And in fact, Chickie's Deli sells a delicious Giardinera salad. I had some on the side of my veggie hoagie a couple of days ago and it was quite tasty.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Thanks for the luv about the bread, dls.

All I can say about that is the one time I had a sausage sandwich in San Francisco

(from Rosamunde's),

the sausage rocked big time but the bread sucked just as big time.

I don't know if it's because I've grown up with Philly bread and am spoiled or what.

Anyway, my favorite sandwich at both Chickie's and Shank and Evelyn's is the hot sausage, with onions and peppers.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Thanks for the proper spelling of Giardinera, Katie!

So are you saying you're certain that I'm right? Although I am usually a fairly decent speller, I'm not willing to bet my life on this one.

But yeah - that pickled salad-like stuff at Chickie's Deli is delish! No matter how you spell it! :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I have made an acceptable Chicago-style Italian beef when I got craving them. I got the best deli style roast beef, cut a little thicker than sandwich thickness. Then I used my crockpot to simmer beef stock with minced garlic,sliced onions and green peppers till they got the proper softness. Then finally put the beef in, just to warm up. Find some kickass rolls or buns, stick some of the makings in there, and dish up a cup of the jus to dip the sandwich in. If you try this I think you'll find you can tame the cravings. But watch out who you serve: at least once a month I make a crockpot for SO to take to the station now.

Help!

as a displaced person from Chicago, I am dying for some Italian Beef.  Dipped.  with hot peppers.

thanks!

Italian Beef isnt gonna happen in Philly, and it shouldnt; it's a Chicago thing, and when it's good, it's DAMN good; I've had several versions and loved them all: messy, beefy, tangy, and yes, those giardinera.

But a good Philly cheesesteak and Roast Pork sammie is also a thing of beauty, especially at places like Geno's, Tony Luke's and John's Roast Pork (for both steaks AND pork!), all in South Philly. And the bread here is way better than the Chi-town stuff. Sorry, but it is.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Italian Beef isnt gonna happen in Philly, and it shouldnt; it's a Chicago thing, and when it's good, it's DAMN good; I've had several versions and loved them all: messy, beefy, tangy, and yes, those giardinera.

Rich, have you tried Tommy DiNic's roast beef? If you haven't, you should.

Robert's Market Report

I had Dinic's roast pork a few weeks ago. Thought it was really good, but he doesn't use broccoli rabe there at all, just spinach.

It was a waste of time and money because none of the tourists and other patrons would touch it.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I had Dinic's roast pork a few weeks ago.  Thought it was really good, but he doesn't use broccoli rabe there at all, just spinach.

It was a waste of time and money because none of the tourists and other patrons would touch it.

I love Tommy's pork, but I agree, rabe would be much better than spinach.

Am I missing something or dense? I don't understand your statement about a "waste of time and money"? Please 'splain.

Robert's Market Report

I had Dinic's roast pork a few weeks ago.  Thought it was really good, but he doesn't use broccoli rabe there at all, just spinach.

I love Tommy's pork, but I agree, rabe would be much better than spinach.

Am I missing something or dense? I don't understand your statement about a "waste of time and money"? Please 'splain.

That was the opinion of the guy who looked like he was running the place

(I assume he was Tommy, but maybe not.)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I've known Tommy DiNic for years, and I love both his roast beef and roast pork sandwiches. But Italian Beef in Chicago is a different animal, and bully for that. In context, it is a great sandwich in America. As are the sammiches in Philly, all great because of the local pride in making them.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Rich,

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I think the Italian roast beef sandwiches in Phila. (at least as represented by Tommy) and Chicago versions are quite similar, much more alike than different. What difference there is predominantly resides in the fixings rather than the beef and its preparation. Here, it's aged provolone and greens; there, Giardinera.

The other major difference is in perception. In Chicago, the Italian beef sandwich is a matter of civic pride. Here, it's just another great sandwich.

Robert's Market Report

Rich,

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I think the Italian roast beef sandwiches in Phila. (at least as represented by Tommy) and Chicago versions are quite similar, much more alike than different. What difference there is predominantly resides in the fixings rather than the beef and its preparation. Here, it's aged provolone and greens; there, Giardinera.

The other major difference is in perception. In Chicago, the Italian beef sandwich is a matter of civic pride. Here, it's just another great sandwich.

The Italian Beefs Ive enjoyed in Chicago were much wetter, on spongier rolls, with peppers and giardinera, and were almost always very messy, but delicious. In Chicago they have that sandwich and hot dogs for their sandwiches, and we have an embrassment of riches: hoagies, cheesesteaks, roast pork AND beef, cutlet sammies like the ones at Rocco's and Tony Luke's and Shanks. And then we also have Koch's. An embrassment of riches.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Rich:

Y'know, I'd never thought of it that way, but you're quite correct. This is a major SANDWICH city. Dang - there' a whole mess of good stuff between bread out there!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I haven't seen anyone even attempt Italian Beef since that Vienna Frank place had a 6 month run on South Street back in the early 90's or late 80's. Closest in terms of messiness and juiciness would probably be a sandwich from George's on the north side of 9th just south of Christian in the Italian Market.

Below are pics of an Italian Beef sandwich from Max's in Chicago and a bucket of their giardinara which was my favorite when I was in Chicago last year.

i3341.jpgi3342.jpg

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 2 weeks later...

BTW - I lived in Philadelphia 10 years before moving to Chicago 20 years ago. Sandwiches, in addition to the cheesesteaks, and especially the hoagies, in Philadelphia, are much, much better. Get out there and enlighten yourself. Gonnela bread sucks compared to some of the breads in Philadelphia and Pat Scala, who once was a client of mine, agreed that Philadelphia had the best Italian oriented sandwiches in America.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I guess I have to get out there and try more stuff. I have been *very* impressed with the hoagies from Sarcone's Deli - the seeded rolls from their bakery down the street are the best I've ever had. The old fashioned hoagie is excellent. (though my wife prefers the roasted veggie)

That said, I'll have to try Mabelline's idea and make my own. I brought home a few bottles of giardinera the last time I was in Chicago (along w/ bottles of sport peppers and 3 half-baked frozen "real" :smile: pizzas)

I suppose the next trips will be to Tony Luke's, John's Roast Pork, and Tommy DiNic's. Lots of eating to do!

Thanks again!