• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Steakhouse

melkor

My vote is for Jocko's in Nipomo, CA.

There is nothing fancy about this place. The sides are simple. The salad is iceberg. But the steaks are absolutely outstanding.

If you're ever in the area, it's quite easy to find. Just go east down the one main street in Nipomo until you find it on the left-hand side across from a church. Be sure to go for dinner, because they don't fire up the oak pit for lunch, and be ready to wait a while. This place is very popular.

BTW, does anyone remember Jonesy's Steakhouse out at the Napa airport? It was the greatest! People actually used to fly in there just to have a steak there when Hugh Jones owned it. It's not the same since he's been gone :sad:

Ate there 2 years ago and it ranks as one of the worst meals I've ever eaten.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's the funky atmosphere, but regardless, a place that puts down a good steak is Al the Wops in Locke on the Delta. It has been there forever it seems and I've never been disappointed.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

It shouldn't surprise me, but I never knew steak was so techno.

Melkor, you sound kind of like a Star Trek episode: "Set your broilers to 1500*F+ broiler, and find me the prime meat that Planet Niman cannot replicate!"

(You better laugh.)

I'm seeking the best-prepared beef in Northeastern CA. Is it at Cole's or Harris'? I do have Luger taste which means I'm spoiled. So please don't recommend places such as Ruth's Chris or Morton's. Come on… there's gotta be Californian version of Steakas out there…

Thanx :laugh:

:D

Cole's and Harris Ranch are about 300 miles apart. (Harris is in Bakersfield in Central/Southern CA and Cole's is in Napa, which is in Central/Northern CA - neither are in northeastern CA.) Personally I prefer Cole's. I thought Harris was totally overrated.

allison

Cole's and Harris Ranch are about 300 miles apart. (Harris is in Bakersfield in Central/Southern CA and Cole's is in Napa, which is in Central/Northern CA - neither are in northeastern CA.) Personally I prefer Cole's. I thought Harris was totally overrated.

Harris Ranch is in Coalinga and is about 100 miles north from Bakersfield.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

I thought Harris was totally overrated.

I'm beginning to agree -- whenever I make a roadtrip from NoCal to SoCal, I stop to buy stuff for the freezer, but it is really only good if it is brought home and cooked immediately. The restaurant is WAY overrated and hideously expensive for what you get.

No, they are not related at all, never have been. The restaurant in SF is called Harris' and the one in Coalinga is Harris Ranch. The names are similar but probably just a coincidence?

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

How about the Broiler Steakhouse off Rt. 101 past Ukiah - I think it's in Redwood Valley, which spawned Jim Jones' first People's Temple, but I digress.

I took a then boyfriend, now husband, there during the past decade and he raved about the steak. Their "special" salad was iceberg with beets, carrots and garbanzo beans with a dressing reminiscent of horseradish. Actually better than it sounds.

I went to Jonesy's at the Napa airpoint once many years ago - everyone raved about the "special" potatoes; they consisted of a hashed brown patty with a slice of half-melted "cheese food" and a ring of raw onion placed on top. Yeah, those were REAL special. :hmmm:

Ann Harris started the Harris Steakhouse in San Francisco back in the '80s. At one time, she was related to the Harris Ranch folks, but no ties at present and Midwestern beef has always been served at her Steakhouse, not the stuff from the Coalinga Ranch.

chrisv

Edited by cmvnapa (log)

• 2 months later...
My vote is for Jocko's in Nipomo, CA.

There is nothing fancy about this place. The sides are simple. The salad is iceberg. But the steaks are absolutely outstanding.

A great chef friend of mine whose opinion I respect and credentials rock solid swears that Jocko's is the best piece of steak in California by a wide margin.

I have heard rumors about the place for a LONG time.

I am driving down in November for a meal to check it out...

• 2 weeks later...
I've long since given up on steak in CA.  If you want an amazing steak just order one from Lobels and cook it at home.

i got that impression from you earlier in the thread. this ain't NY, and though one can get the meat at Lobel's, one still has to cook it correctly. and i wouldn't trust many people with that...

that NY steak requires some serious special heat .

besides, i trust my chef/friend who speaks highly of Jocko's and appreciates where it is at, read not a short drive/subway across the Williamsburg bridge.

he is a NYer, knows lobel's, luger's (my personal favorite), likes wolfgang's blah, blah, and yet adores Jocko's for what it is...

i am giving it a try on his recommendation. maybe you should give it a try before you give up. eat there and then lets discuss... :smile:

Edited by milla (log)

I've long since given up on steak in CA.  If you want an amazing steak just order one from Lobels and cook it at home.

i got that impression from earlier in the thread. this ain't NY, and though one can get the meat at Lobel's, one still has to cook it correctly. that NY steak requires some serious special heat sourcing.

besides, i trust my chef/friend who speaks highly of Jocko's and its sense of place, read it is not across the Williamsburg bridge. give it a try before you give up. eat there and then lets discuss... :smile:

It's really not a good sign that the best steak in CA is supposed to be in the middle of nowhere between SF and LA but next next time I'm driving down the coast I'll check it out. It really takes little more than a pulse and a chunk of meat from Lobels to turn out a steak better than any I've had in the SF bay area.

i got that impression from earlier in the thread. this ain't NY, and though one can get the meat at Lobel's, one still has to cook it correctly. that NY steak requires some serious special heat sourcing.

besides, i trust my chef/friend who speaks highly of Jocko's and its sense of place, read it is not across the Williamsburg bridge. give it a try before you give up. eat there and then lets discuss... :smile:

It's really not a good sign that the best steak in CA is supposed to be in the middle of nowhere between SF and LA but next next time I'm driving down the coast I'll check it out. It really takes little more than a pulse and a chunk of meat from Lobels to turn out a steak better than any I've had in the SF bay area.

respectfully disagree. i think it is a great sign. and i hear it is packed. some of the most satisfying places to eat modest or ambitious, can be in the middle of nowhere. in fact, i prefer it that way.

and it is also amusing that one would think it only requires a pulse and a "chunk of meat" to make a great steak. it denigrates professionals that actually do make great steak. not to mention the meat with an attitude like that :smile:

i still stand behind the opinion of the person who has tons of experience and knowledge who has actually been there to someone who denigrates and has not...

you might be right but you will never know until you go. eat there and then lets hear your opinion... :smile:

respectfully disagree. i think it is a great sign.  and i hear it is packed.  some of the most satisfying places to eat modest or ambitious, can be in the middle of nowhere.  in fact, i prefer it that way. 

and it is also amusing that one would think it only requires a pulse and a "chunk of meat" to make a great steak.  it denigrates professionals that actually do make great steak. not to mention the meat with an attitude like that :smile:

i still stand behind the opinion of the person who has tons of experience and knowledge who has actually been there to someone who denigrates and has not...

you might be right but you will never know until you go.  eat there and then lets hear your opinion... :smile:

I'm not saying any moron can bang out a great steak, but steak is one of those things where the quality of the ingredients often means more than the skill of the person preparing them. Steakhouses in CA aren't paying the same prices for meat as Lobels or Peter Lugers or the others in NYC and if you have access to better meat than the local restaurants then you've got at least a 50/50 shot at making a better steak.

I love eating in the sticks - there are lots of great places all over the state, but much like I'd be thrilled to find a restaurant on the drive to lake tahoe serving better food than the French Laundry it seems really unlikely. I'll certainly check out Jocko's next time I'm down the coast. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not saying Jocko's is crap - more that it's odd that I'd need to drive a few hundred miles from SF or LA to get a decent steak.

I've long since given up on steak in CA. If you want an amazing steak just order one from Lobels and cook it at home.
I'm not saying any moron can bang out a great steak, but steak is one of those things where the quality of the ingredients often means more than the skill of the person preparing them. Steakhouses in CA aren't paying the same prices for meat as Lobels or Peter Lugers or the others in NYC and if you have access to better meat than the local restaurants then you've got at least a 50/50 shot at making a better steak.

Actually you did say something to that effect, as in "anyone with a pulse". I also quote earlier from you "Besides, anyone who believes they can make a steak at home to rival what the top steakhouses are putting out either has a 1500*F+ broiler, prime+ steaks, and a lot of skill - or they are wrong." I am just confused...

Great food is ALWAYS quality of ingredients and equal amounts of knowledge and, most importantly, respect for said ingredient whether it is a steakhouse in Cali or some "luxe" Ducasse outpost...but I am getting off my point almost as bad as the topic of this thread that you started...

I love eating in the sticks - there are lots of great places all over the state, but much like I'd be thrilled to find a restaurant on the drive to lake tahoe serving better food than the French Laundry  it seems really unlikely. I'll certainly check out Jocko's next time I'm down the coast.  Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not saying Jocko's is crap - more that it's odd that I'd need to drive a few hundred miles from SF or LA to get a decent steak.

The French Laundry has nothing to do with this thread unless you want to talk about the "calotte" which, ironically, might be the best steak in Cali. Some might say one can drive from in a real big circle in France and not find a restaurant with better food than FL. But that is also beside the point.

The point is this thread was about where can you get a good steak in California. And your last posts have suggested you can't and that they all suck here (you gave up finding a good steak) because we don't "have meat like lobel's, steakhouses like luger's", etc. Go to friggin' NY then or at least start another thread. I feel uncomfortable saying anything negative about any restaurant if i have never visited , whether it is "in the sticks or middle of nowhere" and I have to drive there. All i am asking is try it before slamming it... :smile:

I look forward to telling you the goodbadandugly about it when I get back but one thing is for sure, I will have a great time (and a great drive with my friends) regardless of whether it is as good as Luger's or FL for that matter. :smile:

cheers

Actually you did say something to that effect, as in "anyone with a pulse".  I also quote earlier from you "Besides, anyone who believes they can make a steak at home to rival what the top steakhouses are putting out either has a 1500*F+ broiler, prime+ steaks, and a lot of skill - or they are wrong." I am just confused...

Great food is ALWAYS quality of ingredients and equal amounts of knowledge and, most importantly,  respect for said ingredient whether it is a steakhouse in Cali or some "luxe" Ducasse outpost...but I am getting off my point almost as bad as the topic of this thread that you started...

I did indeed say anyone with a pulse and some meat from Lobels has a decent shot at making a better steak than most of the CA steakhouses - a cast iron pan, some butter, some salt, and some high-prime steaks is about all you need. Cole's in Napa is the best I've found, but it really doesn't compare to whats available in NY. My intent in starting this thread was to see if there are any places in CA at that level, at this point I'm fairly certain there isn't. High heat really isn't required for a great steak - I alternate between using a cast iron pan at medium heat and cooking over a ~1000*F chunk charcoal fire, each has its merits.

Great food always requires quality ingredients but it doesn't always require knowledge or skill - a bunch of heirloom tomatoes, some salt, buffalo mozzarella, balsamic and olive oil outside on an august afternoon is tough to beat and requires excellent ingredients and opposable thumbs. Steak is like that to some extent; An excellent cook can perfectly roast an average chicken and it’ll be great, an excellent cook can’t turn an average steak into a great steak served the way it is in a steakhouse. Average quality meat can make spectacular braised dishes, stews, tacos, etc. Once you strip a dish down to one ingredient and some fire the end result depends on the quality of the ingredient more than it does in normal dishes.

The French Laundry has nothing to do with this thread unless you want to talk about the "calotte" which, ironically, might be the best steak in Cali.    Some might say one can drive from in a real big circle in France and not find a restaurant with better food than FL.  But that is also beside the point.

The point is this thread was about where can you get a good steak in California.  And your last posts have suggested you can't and that they all suck here (you gave up finding a good steak) because we don't "have meat like lobel's, steakhouses like luger's", etc. Go to friggin' NY then or at least start another thread. I feel uncomfortable saying anything negative about any restaurant if i have never visited , whether it is "in the sticks or middle of nowhere" and I have to drive there.  All i am asking is try it before slamming it...  :smile:

I look forward to telling you the goodbadandugly about it when I get back but one thing is for sure, I will have a great time (and a great drive with my friends) regardless of whether it is as good as Luger's or FL for that matter. :smile:

cheers

France has a much different culinary culture than we do, and my point about the French Laundry was just that if there were a Luger-level steakhouse in CA I'd imagine it would get more press. I'm likely to be driving down the coast sometime in the next few months, I'm not slamming anything - I'm just awfully pessimistic based on my other CA steak experiences. I'm looking forward to your report :smile:

Enjoy the road trip - they are always a blast.

An excellent cook can perfectly roast an average chicken and it’ll be great, an excellent cook can’t turn an average steak into a great steak served the way it is in a steakhouse.  Average quality meat can make spectacular braised dishes, stews, tacos, etc. Once you strip a dish down to one ingredient and some fire the end result depends on the quality of the ingredient more than it does in normal dishes.

My emphasis above. Do you really think that’s true? I’ll wager you haven’t had a great chicken or just don’t appreciate the different between a good hen and a great one. There’s no way you can roast a an average chicken and have it taste like a great chicken. The best you can do is add extraneous flavor like garlic or herbs. There are posts on the France forum that will attest to the fact that members have had a simple roast chicken in France that made them wonder if they’d ever eaten a real chicken before.
It's really not a good sign that the best steak in CA is supposed to be in the middle of nowhere between SF and LA
Another point about France is that some of the country's best restaurants are in the middle of nowhere. Michel Bras is not even in the middle of two destinations. You have to make a side trip from the road to nowhere.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.