• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rare Ingredients

Episure

Here is another one:

Dagad phool aka stone Flower. It looks like dried lichen.Googling for it shows up results like Star Anise and Permalia Perlata. Star Anise it is not and this is a classic example of many copying one person's mistakes. v.gautam, etha kee?

I must confess I have never used it. Any Ideas?

Edited by Episure (log)

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Could you please share the recipes? The pulao sounds good - I can almost imagine it's taste but some more precision would help. Thanks

The Masala Bhein seems wicked too

Sure can do.. it will take some time though..so please be patient.

Cheers!!

Took me a long time, but I have managed to take some pictures while we were cooking Masala Bhein (Kamak kakdi or Lotus Stems) last week. I will posting them shortly in a new thread once I figure out how to include images in the text.

Any pointers??

Cheers

My mother used Dagad phool in the various masala powders that she makes. I've never seen or heard of it being used as main spice (like elaich murgh or your Malabar chicken, Episure - where a spice highlights a dish) but more like a complementary spice to enhance the musky, mushroomy flavour of a powder.

Also I'm not aware of it being used in a fresh masala only in dry masala powder.