• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

120 hungry college students

Malawry

What about pans of Lasagna?

That seems a natural, but she said that another night is always "pasta night," so I'm bettin' that includes lasagna.

I'm thinking we're agreeing on chili. That'd be nice. Especially mid-winter. With a potato bar on the side.

Oh, and PS -- Too bad about the "dry" campus thing. Perhaps to get that "beer-bust" ambience that college students so enjoy, you could arrange for Mudpuppie's dad to do the serving.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm going to endorse chicken cacciatore, only I say serve it with a soft roasted garlic polenta, garlic bread, and room temperature roasted root vegetables like carrots, parsnips, turnips, rutabaga, and onions.

Or Moroccan chicken with lemon and olives, couscous with sultanas and pine nuts, carrot salad, and pita bread.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

I have to tell you honestly, as a former sorority girl, I can't imagine chili going over well at all. I personally like chili, but when I lived in, probably half the girls were vegetarians (or just eating disordered).

Also, this IS the Atkins era. College-age girls tend to be very cognizant of whatever food fads are going around. Potatoes? Can't picture 'em being really popular.

Instead, I'd think grilled (but flavorful) chicken, fish, etc.

Sorry to be the naysayer...

i agree with jenny, actually. i still would prefer to know the context, but if the meal's too unrecognizable - you lose the boys, garlic, onions and beans are definitely a no-no for the resulting smells involved.

a potato bar might be a good option. along-side roasted chicken. and a tossed salad.

I've had to cook for groups of 50-75 college age kids, and the things that went over well are the basics.I'd go with something I could cook the day before and heat it up there. That way you can perfect it and not have 120 kids hovering over you while you are trying to get the salt level right. So look for things that reheat well. Chili, soup, beans, stews, etc.

I'd think a big beef stew with lots of potatoes and carrots for the carnivores, and a meatless beans and rice for the vegetarians. You can use black, white or red beans. Both of these could be made the day before (except for the rice) and just reheated. Some sort of garlic bread and a non-garlic, with maybe a basic green salad should round it out nicely. If you are doing dessert, you can do a basic sheet cake really easily.

I'd also suggest that you cook 200 "regular people" portions. These kids have big appetites, and will flat chow down if presented with good food. You'll have them get their food, and eat while standing in line for seconds.

The Atkins kids can pick out the potatoes on the stew.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Maybe too far out for people... but thinkng of easy to make in bulk and also provide vegetarian options-- Hungarian Beef Goulash and a Mushroom Goulash. Also, boiled potatoes or rice and a green salad. An interesting starch would be dumplings.

Makes me also think of chicken and dumplings

or

Pot pies (chicken,beef, vegetable)---if you can think of a way to scale this up--crust on top in big pans?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I'm another one who thinks chili is a good idea. Plus you can put out all the appropriate makings for a "tex-mex" salad -- lettuce, diced tomato, shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole, etc.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Sorry, but I also have to strongly go against the chili idea. Although it was 15 years ago, I lived in a sorority house, and I cannot imagine that going over well as a main meal, regardless of whether or not it is vegetarian. (I just hate chili overall.) I do, however, like the Mexican idea. Maybe chili can be just one component of the meal. Grilled chicken (and/or beef), tortillas, rice, beans, etc, so people can sort of make their own thing.

I would also vote against beef stew or any kind of goulash. I would probably eat that, but I can only imagine the looks on the faces of my sorority if our cook put out beef stew or goulash. It would not be pretty!

I do also like the jambalaya/cajun idea. I think people would be very receptive to that.

I made the sisters chili before (both black bean and beef) and most of them seemed content to eat it but it didn't thrill anybody.

I've decided to go with something tex-mexy, but haven't worked out exactly what yet.

I've decided to go with something tex-mexy, but haven't worked out exactly what yet.

Hey -- how's about that Texas comfort food fave, King Ranch Chicken???? :biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

EVERYONE likes King Ranch chicken. If you did want to consider a mole so you could stretch it by serving with rice, that doesn't have to be labor intensive. You just cheat! There are some jarred mole "paste" on the market that is acceptable. (After all, you aren't feeding Diana Kennedy. :biggrin: ) I see it as the same type of cheating that I do with Thai curry pastes.

For the salad you could do a jicama slaw if you can get jicama. Check out my Texas caviar recipe for a side or snack. All of my kids young friends (since they were college age) loved it. I have made vats of it for them at their insistance over the years. You can make that the day before. Actually it is better in the fridge overnight.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Hey -- how's about that Texas comfort food fave, King Ranch Chicken???? :biggrin:

Bingo. Great Idea. Everybody likes it and when they become Jr. Leaguers they will have one more dish in their repetoire for luncheon. :wink::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

What's King Ranch Chicken? (be kind, I'm a northeasterner.:laugh:)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Well,

The King Ranch is one of the largest cattle operations in the world (somewhere areund 800,000 plus acres) and I suppose that is where the name comes from. Just look at a map of Texas, look to extreme South Texas butting against the Gulf and pretty much a big hunk of the five counties (Kleburg County and South and West of there) is the Ranch. There is the explanation for the King Part.

THe little geography lesson is to throw you off so you won't scream when you hear the ingredients of this staple of Southern Casserole Dining (a true subculture in it's own right.

Basically the casserole consists of the following main ingredients and a myriad of minor ones that vary from cook to cook, but mainly you have your boiled chicken, onions, bell peppers, cream of mushroom soup, rotel tomatoes, cheddar cheese, and tortillas. THis is put in a casserole, in layers, and baked. It is really good and as Fifi and I (I had not read her post when I wrote mine) said-EVERYBODY LIKES IT! Don't let the cans throw you off. I have made many semi-official versions without the cans and it is not the same.

And you know that as often as Fifi and I disagree that when we do finally agree we must be right. Just ask us. We'll tell you. :wink:

That Texas Caviar stuff she was talking about is really good too, a very nice dip. It can be (and often is, at my house) accompanied by a dish of crispy, spicy, pickled okra (she won't agree with this :raz: )

There you go. King Ranch Chicken in a nutshell.

Here y'all Yankees go:

King Ranch Chicken

Here y'all Yankees go:

King Ranch Chicken

What a fine service you just provided to the rest of the Nation. I googled on one because I was too lazy to post the recipe out of the Cotton Country and couldn't find one that was right. Your recipe is perfect.

Nice Work. Southern Hospitality at it's finest. :wink:

AH... A Jaymes recipe for King Ranch Chicken is pure gold.

On the Texas Caviar, when I will be using it as a side dish, I tend to increase the veggies and cut them a little larger so that it is more like a veggie salad with beans. (Sorry for not including the link earlier.) As a dip type thing, the veggies need to be about bean size to accommodate the geometry of dipping with a chip. Let me recommend the Tostitos Gold. They are thicker and have a really nice texture. Then, if you have leftovers, you can use them to make a really good batch of chilequiles for breakfast or brunch the next day (or later in the week for lunch).

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Thanks for the explanation. But one more question - what are Rotel tomatoes?

RoTel Tomatoes

This is a staple in Texas kitchens. Usually when the recipe calls for them, the cook just says, "1 can RoTel."

I actually said that the first time I typed out that recipe (which was in the Texas board and I knew no other explanation was needed), but when it got put into the eGullet Recipe Archives, I had to edit it for non-Southerners.

RoTel Tomatoes are ubiquitous down here. They show up in all sorts of things, adding zip and zest. Particularly good in meatloaf, I think.

And most notably, we all make "Chile con Queso" which is a cheese dip. Most of us just call it "Queso" for short. And what you do is to take a chunk of Velveeta and melt it into a can of RoTel. We think it's darn delish.

And it is, too. :raz:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

That's why we are here. :biggrin:

edit to add: Jaymes is, as usual, right. Queso IS Velveeta and RoTel. Anything else is just not... well... RIGHT.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I'm in charge of a dinner for a large gathering, and I'm thinking Mexican-inspired as well. What I'm planning is chile verde and grilled chicken thighs with a chipotle-cumin rum, both to be served over rice, or in tortillas as the basis of tacos. Cheese enchiladas and black beans for the vegetarians. I'll probably make two salads, one a rice-corn-bean salad with a cilantro-jalepeno dressing, and the other a jicama slaw with orange, avocado and chipotles.

That's if you don't go with the King Ranch Chicken, of course.